HELP!!!! Injured rooster!

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I was letting my chickens in and found a bloody rooster, his comb is the thing that is bleeding and it is in different areas. The internet wouldn't work and it has now scabbed over, what do I do? We put him in the house and he is in a metal water thing. I can't send a pic because of the internet, a little piece of his comb is torn off and the left and right edges of the comb, that touches the feathered head, are slashed a bit and were bleeding (He has a Single comb). He was bleeding blood that had a strange thickness to it and a light color (I never saw a live bloody chicken before and I don't know if this is okay, was it full of platelets maybe?)

I was letting my chickens in and found a bloody rooster, his comb is the thing that is bleeding and it is in different areas. The internet wouldn't work and it has now scabbed over, what do I do? We put him in the house and he is in a metal water thing. I can't send a pic because of the internet, a little piece of his comb is torn off and the left and right edges of the comb, that touches the feathered head, are slashed a bit and were bleeding (He has a Single comb). He was bleeding blood that had a strange thickness to it and a light color (I never saw a live bloody chicken before and I don't know if this is okay, was it full of platelets maybe?)
It sounds like serum may have been oozing from the gashes.
It doesn't sound serious. Combs and wattles bleed like the dickens.
I would try to dab a bit of disinfectant on the wounds and make sure there is no blood on his feathers and put him back with the flock.
Did he get it caught in something? Do you have more than one rooster and he may have fought with him? Do you think he was attacked by a predator?

Maybe he got into it with another rooster, sometimes hens can put up a fight too. If its just his comb thats bleeding he will be fine with no need to do anything.

It sounds like serum may have been oozing from the gashes.
It doesn't sound serious. Combs and wattles bleed like the dickens.
I would try to dab a bit of disinfectant on the wounds and make sure there is no blood on his feathers and put him back with the flock.
Did he get it caught in something? Do you have more than one rooster and he may have fought with him? Do you think he was attacked by a predator?
Maybe he got into it with another rooster, sometimes hens can put up a fight too. If its just his comb thats bleeding he will be fine with no need to do anything.
Sorry, the internet prevented me from typing.
Yes, it was from another rooster that was especially grumpy that day. Good news though! After staying in my room (I couldn't put him in the coop because of the blood and it was becoming night) and waking me up all the time, he has recovered!
Funny little side note, he refused to go to sleep in the tote, so I put him on my bed and he went to sleep instantly, like a dog or cat! He did something weird though, he put his lower part of his head (I am bad at describing, lower jaw and waddle?) against my cheek, his face was looking up to the ceiling and he fell asleep like that, he didn't even poop! What a gentle man. XD

Sorry, the internet prevented me from typing.
Yes, it was from another rooster that was especially grumpy that day. Good news though! After staying in my room (I couldn't put him in the coop because of the blood and it was becoming night) and waking me up all the time, he has recovered!
Funny little side note, he refused to go to sleep in the tote, so I put him on my bed and he went to sleep instantly, like a dog or cat! He did something weird though, he put his lower part of his head (I am bad at describing, lower jaw and waddle?) against my cheek, his face was looking up to the ceiling and he fell asleep like that, he didn't even poop! What a gentle man. XD

Nice, yea getting injured from fighting with each other is as natural as it gets. Keep in mind sometimes it can just be a little blood and sometimes it can be severe blood and swollen eyes and faces (incase it happens again). Either way couple days rest and it will be fine. But i doubt it will happen again since the pecking order has been set, unless you remove him for a long period of time then re introuduce him and the cycle starts again.

Back
Top Bottom