Help!! Injuried Goose

Thank you so much for this posting! My turkey hen was pecked very badly on her back (she was not able to walk and was recovering from a possum attack-long story) and it was very bare (about 5 inches long and 1-2 inches wide in spots). I was putting peroxide and Neosporin on her and went to give her a bath today and noticed a few maggots on her. I also noticed her feathers (the few that were there) were healing into her wound. I didn't realize the diesel fuel would work, I would certainly have done that instead of the peroxide. I was wondering if the maggots were the end of the line for her but now I see there is hope! I think I will go out there right now and give her dose of the diesel fuel to be sure the maggots are gone. I would think that would really burn or hurt her wound tho... I am very happy to hear about your goose recovery! I am wishing you all the best! Please keep us posted!

I really would have thought the diesel fuel would burn too, if only you could see my eye roll when the farmer suggested that and then the breeder I got her from also suggested that or Kerosene (I didn't have kerosene handy). But I had to flip her on her back to get a good view of the chest wounds and when I poured peroxide on her she squirmed and fought to upright.. when I poured diesel fuel on her she didn't move. I think that's a clear sign that it didn't burn or she was so close to death it didn't matter.
She is using the foot, and where it was so easy to walk up to her before she can hop pretty fast now. At night she goes into a cage to keep her safe and she has to step over a 6X6 and a 2X4 to get in and she does it. I'm just wondering if the exposed bone is going to be a problem.

Decided having geese was just not working for me. I wanted them down in the pond and that didn't work out well. Them honking and pooping all over the place just wasn't as appealing, so they have all been rehomed with someone who has a big pond (snapping turtle free) and other geese and ducks. One of her geese is 18 years old, so she must not have many predators after them. We were worried about whether this injured female could swim and keep up with the rest but I'm happy to report she is doing well.
big_smile.png

At a local pond frequented by Canadian geese I've discovered an injured one. Hurt wing. Can't fly. When all the others take off, it stays. I've been feeding it a mix of chicken layer pellets, corn, and bread. It's always very hungry. Am I doing the right thing by feeding it? The pond is also frequented by a bald eagle, and when it appears all the others take off, and "Gimpy" hides under an embankment of the pond. Should I stop feeding it and let nature take its course?

At a local pond frequented by Canadian geese I've discovered an injured one. Hurt wing. Can't fly. When all the others take off, it stays. I've been feeding it a mix of chicken layer pellets, corn, and bread. It's always very hungry. Am I doing the right thing by feeding it? The pond is also frequented by a bald eagle, and when it appears all the others take off, and "Gimpy" hides under an embankment of the pond. Should I stop feeding it and let nature take its course?
I'd have to help, do you know of a wild life rehabber in your area? they will come and get the goose and treat it then release if it's able to go back to the wild. I wonder if it may have got caught by a pred and managed to get away and that is how it hurt it's wing. Look up on line wild life rehabbers in your state. That would be the best way to go in the mean time do what your doing. We cannot turn out backs on animals that need help. Bread isn't very nutritious for poultry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom