HELP!!! Intestines (?) is coming out from butt!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Toi-toi, May 11, 2011.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Yesterday I found my chicken was bleeding from her butt.
    Dark red huge stuff was coming out from her butt.
    I gently push it back and cleaned her butt.
    She stayed in the box in the house last night.
    She seems fine today so I took her out. She pooped and that stuff came out again [​IMG]

What should I do???

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    It sounds like a prolapsed vent to me. Has she seemed to be struggling to lay lately?

Old wive's tale solution for a prolapsed vent that keeps prolapsing is to clean the area thoroughly, and apply a layer of white table sugar. That tends to draw out the excess water and make the vent go back up into the chickens body.

Good luck with her!

3. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    I'm not sure if she has trouble laying. My chickens are free range.
    But she is smallest chicken and all chickens are laying pretty same size (it just fits in large egg carton) so I guess she is laying pretty big for her size.

I will try sugar trick later. Thanks!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You don't want that prolaspe to dry out if it does then the tissue will die, use the sugar or try prep H and or honey, just let it sit for a while then try to push it gently back in, take her off of laying feed for a while and keep her in a nice quiet fairly dark place to try to keep her from laying till this issue is literally cleared up.

5. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Sugar won't stick to her butt... I will go buy Prep H...

I put towel over her cage. I only have layers feed and scratch. Should I just feed her scratch for while then??

6. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:Did you actually try it? It should work. Odd.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No you want to feed her good quality food during this time, can you get a small bag of Flock Raiser then you can mix it with their regular layer when she is through this. but you want to keep her immune system in good shape. I don't feed Layer at all just give them Purina Flock Raise and put out oyster shell on the side. It has more protein in it for one thing. and you might have to keep trying too, don't give up. with the sugar you make a paste of it with water then apply

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  8. Toi-toi

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Flock Raiser food means grower??? Like between "chick starter" and "layers" food??

Dry sugar won't stick much I mean. Looks like salt on french fries.... Do you know what I mean???

9. Pathfinders

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Quote:Moisten her vent with some clean water, then try the sugar. It should stick better then.

10. ChickyChickyChookChook

ChickyChickyChookChook New Egg

Feb 9, 2011
    This happened to my little black bantam bok bok.
    we were new to having chickens and didnt have a clue what had happened. So it was too late to fix once we had found out:'(
    take her to the vets and they can help. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by