Help! Introducing 2 flocks

PeepFreak

Hatching
Jul 13, 2021
Claremore, Oklahoma
Hello, this is my first post. And here's my problem. I have eight chickens already and there free range during the day and I lock them up in the coop at night. I purchased 10 new peeps and there more than ready to be introduced to the new flock oh, they're not laying eggs yet, but I'm not sure how to introduce the ten new girls to the 8 older girls, but they're ready to get out of the garage. The new girls that never been outside yet, and although the other girls free range during the day they go to bed at night, and I'm afraid that my new peeps if I put them out there with them do my all and not only fight, but a little girls will run away and not know where to go oh, I don't know how to do this properly can anybody offer some advice? Thank you

Howdy from Virginia and welcome to byc! You're gonna love it here.

When ever I introduce new birds I keep them in large dog crates in the coop, for about 2wks then let them out with the rest.

While the flock is free-ranging you could move the dog crates outside.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Flocks don't take kindly to new birds, so you definitely need to introduce them slow. As @sweaterthebroodyrooster mentioned, using the large wire dog crates allows them all to see but not touch. After 2 or so weeks you can let them all mix. I always put out more food and water stations so the new birds can get sustenance as the original flock can guard them in attempt to starve the new birds out. Watch them all carefully the first week as there will be squabbling, and intervene if it turns bloody. If any of the original flock turns into an all out Bully, don't be afraid to cage the Bully for a few days to allow the new birds to adjust. And always wait until chicks are at least 3 months of age before mixing with older birds.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
You will not be able to coop then together for quite a while. Make a large pen for the littles to be outside in. In the shade near the coop. Move them back to a secure location each night. After about 2 weeks of this, let the littles out to free range for about an hour, then let the bigs out. Keep doing this and eventually the pullets will be brave enough to go in the coop with the hens.
Do you have a rooster? If so, he will likely help the process immensely.

Back
Top Bottom