Help, introduction of new pullet not going well

HeidiN

Songster
5 Years
Jan 8, 2017
North Idaho
We lost a 10 week old barred rock pullet a few weeks back, which left the other 10 week old rock with our 11.5 week old Wyandotte. After returning from vacation, we found a pullet to fill the void. The new girl is supposed to be 11 weeks old, which would have been pretty close to the rock we still have, but she isn't fully feathered, and though heavier, is slightly smaller than the now 12 week old rock. Our Rock has turned into a bully towards the new girl. It's a bit ridiculous. The poor new girl hides under the ramp at the door which the others are too big to get under. The rock won't let her forage with them. The Wyandotte is so easy going, and doesn't seem bothered by the newcomer, but the rock clearly doesn't like her. What should I do? Remove the bully for a couple of days, or keep the newbie out till she's a bit larger? I introduced her to the coop at night after they'd gone to roost, but now by day, she's just trying to find a peaceful place to hang out and scratch. It's sad. Our last introduction (the Wyandotte to the two rocks) went so smoothly, I didn't expect this.

he older the get the more territorial they become.You may wanna keep her in a seperate cage for a week or so then try agian.If I were you,I would get a bigger older hen,that will change things up and might help your situation.

he older the get the more territorial they become.You may wanna keep her in a seperate cage for a week or so then try agian.If I were you,I would get a bigger older hen,that will change things up and might help your situation.

I have two adult hens that are next to the young ones. But one of them is a feather picker, and I'm trying to break her of that before introducing the littles to her. Do you think I should just try putting them all together, supervised and see how they do? There's still a significant size difference between the juveniles and adults.

We lost a 10 week old barred rock pullet a few weeks back, which left the other 10 week old rock with our 11.5 week old Wyandotte. After returning from vacation, we found a pullet to fill the void. The new girl is supposed to be 11 weeks old, which would have been pretty close to the rock we still have, but she isn't fully feathered, and though heavier, is slightly smaller than the now 12 week old rock. Our Rock has turned into a bully towards the new girl. It's a bit ridiculous. The poor new girl hides under the ramp at the door which the others are too big to get under. The rock won't let her forage with them. The Wyandotte is so easy going, and doesn't seem bothered by the newcomer, but the rock clearly doesn't like her. What should I do? Remove the bully for a couple of days, or keep the newbie out till she's a bit larger? I introduced her to the coop at night after they'd gone to roost, but now by day, she's just trying to find a peaceful place to hang out and scratch. It's sad. Our last introduction (the Wyandotte to the two rocks) went so smoothly, I didn't expect this.

There are a couple of things to try. It depends on your setup.

1. move the new pullet in with a couple of the nicer pullets. Let them live together away from the others for several days and then put all three back in with the flock.

2. get a cage and put it next to the run where you keep the flock. They will work out their pecking order through the fence. After about a week, move her in at night and then watch for fighting the next day. Take her out if she is getting beaten up. Try putting her back again the next night.

3. remove the biggest bully from the flock for two days. Add both the bully and the new pullet to the flock at night. Watch to see how they do the next day.

Let us know how it works out!

I only have 3 pullets and 2 hens. I kept the bully out for a few hours yesterday, then put her back in. Kept the n ew one out till bedtime again, then out her in the coop. What I've noticed today is the bully doesn't want the new pullet in the run at the same time. I'm building another covered run to use if needed, just need to attach the wire and roof.

I tried letting one of the hens with the pullets, and she attacked the biggest one, not the bully. I'm not sure if we will be able to keep her, she is a feather eater, but sweet to people. I'm ready to get rid of her, but she belongs to the kids, and it's going to take some time convincing them she has to go.

She wasn't available at the time, but will try tomorrow. The New girl spent a few hours with the nice one in the big run today while the hens were free roaming. They get along fine.
I made a second enclosure within the big run, so she can at least be a chicken, and not just sit in the door of the coop watching the others scratch around. All the girls, except the new one, were enjoying sunshine and dust baths. Tomorrow will be a better day, now with two separate safe enclosures.

After removing the bully to a side run in the day for 4-5 days, in coop together at night, today we put them all together (the pullets) and they did find. There's peace in the run once more. I hope that when I put the pullets with the hens, they do ok. A couple more weeks till they're big enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    419.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom