Hey all! I have an old coop which is connected to a newer coop. I recently bleached the old coop with around 4-5 quarts of water with around two caps of bleach. (I heard from a friend that that would work). Anyway, it didn't occur to me until 10 min. after I had applied the bleach that my gas mask was protecting me...but what about my chickens in the newer side of the coop? The two coops are connected but separated with a wall. Realizing this I cooped up my birds inside the new side of the coop and sealed the windows shut so that the fumes from the old side of the coop would not flow out and hurt my birds. I was preparing the old coop for peafowl. The reason I used bleach was that I heard it would kill all the bacteria and any fungus so I said 'whoohoo! Thats perfect!,' nevertheless I just did a little digging and found out that it is not all that great for my birds. I also wanted to use the bleach because I had someone ask me to take care of over 100 baby chicks (all of them meat/egg production mixes) and two baby turkeys AND I used to have a flock that lived there that I moved to the newer coop. I wanted to get rid of absolutely anything that was left behind so my peafowl wouldn't get sick. I was going to use 'Steramine,' but now I am thinking twice. Questions: Will the fumes hurt my sweet little hens? (All I could smell in the coop was the stinky poo so I cleaned out their sand box and add some straw to keep them entertained) Was using bleach a bad idea? How long will it take to have the bleach become harmless, safe, and or to dry out? It was soaked up a bit into the boards, will it come out eventually? Also how long? Was bleach enough or should I spray Steramine? Pleaseh help and thank you to all in avance!