Help!! Is it splay leg if the leg goes forward rather than sideways?

ilikethedesert

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
Easton, CT
My chick is 2 days old and has a taped foot in hopes to straighten out curves toes. That same leg is more forward than the other and this chick can't get around. It is able to stay upright, mostly, but if it tries to walk it kind of goes in a circle. Not eating or drinking on own yet. Help!

was it splayed forward since Birth or is this a new showing?
Do they act like it is Paralyzed or can they bend it and move it at ALL joints??
any other health issues, like lethargic, runny poop or not eating/drinking?

Quote:
Hi- It's been like that since birth- two days ago tonight around midnight. I think it can move all the joints. Not sure if it's lethargic as it had a traumatic hatch so I expect it to be tired. It chirps an tries to move around, bit either goes in a circle or falls over and stays on its side until I pick it up. It doesn't eat or drink on its own yet although it experimented with pecking a couple of time. It had one huge poop in the incubator and not much o anything since. I cleaned some dried off poop off it s butt this morning but nothing since. I dip its beak in Gatorade throughout the day.

Thanks for any help you can gice.

My buff silkie had a simalar problem... we used a cut up credit card and taped his foot to the pieces with band aids. HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP...
hit.gif

AlexisB is my daughter. Sounds like you already taped the foot. It honestly sounds like you are doing everything you can for this baby. I just lost a chick a couple weeks ago that had leg issues. She just seemed weak from hatch. It was terribly sad, so I know exactly what you are feeling right now. Just keep doing what you are doing and I hope your chick gets stronger and recovers.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom