Help! Is it wet feather or something else?

Meltongirl84

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
I am a new duck mom. I got 4 ducks that are now about 5 or 6 weeks old. I have one duck that stays in the water pretty much 24/7 and only comes out to eat and then back in the water she goes. I went to check on her and she was freezing so I took her out the little pool and she looks like the picture I’ve attached! What is wrong? Is there something I can do? Is this a molt? She is the only one who is doing this and looks like this! She is also steady plucking at what feathers are left.

Attachments

• DD817FE7-9998-4A2B-8D7A-FA18C8743B50.jpeg
    DD817FE7-9998-4A2B-8D7A-FA18C8743B50.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 12
  • C918016E-6455-4F29-88FC-C40141F30718.jpeg
    C918016E-6455-4F29-88FC-C40141F30718.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 13
Not wet feather. looks like maybe she is doing it to her self Or is it possible the others started it an she has just joined in? I'd def keep her warm and can you give us a run down on what you are feeding your ducklings and how they are kept. Bedding coop etc? size of coop?

Oh my, I don't know. Doesn't look like wet feather. Are the others picking on her?
Well the lady at tractor supply just mentioned this to me. I told her that she stays in the pool even at night and when she eats she grabs some and runs and eats it in the corner then she’ll come back and grab so more so the lady at tractor supply told me that she was probably being picked on!!

Not wet feather. looks like maybe she is doing it to her self Or is it possible the others started it an she has just joined in? I'd def keep her warm and can you give us a run down on what you are feeding your ducklings and how they are kept. Bedding coop etc? size of coop?
I have a starting coop right now it can hold 6 chickens and it has a big nesting box. The other three stay in the nesting box and she stays in the pool. I have pine chips in the nesting box and on the ground below and I clean it all out every 3 days! There is also a small pool in the coop which she stays in and even sleeps in. I thought it was weird that she never got out the pool except to eat and when she would eat she’d grab some go to a corner eat and then come back grab some and eat. I am feeding them 17% protein purina flock raiser crumble. All what tractor supply told me to get and do I’ve been trying to do for them!

You have chickens? chickens can pluck each other and would most likely do a duck too if given the chance. The way she is acting almost sounds like she is afraid so maybe someone is bullying her? Flock Raiser is excellent feed. Until she has grown her feathers back I'd keep her out of the water to keep her for chilling. Can you see any sign of feathers coming back? You could try spraying her area where the feathers are sparse with Veterycin or Theracyn which is less expensive or Derma Gel plus spray and add some extra protien to help get those feathers growing back out before winter. Some dried meal worms or dry puppy food (good quality protein)

You have chickens? chickens can pluck each other and would most likely do a duck too if given the chance. The way she is acting almost sounds like she is afraid so maybe someone is bullying her? Flock Raiser is excellent feed. Until she has grown her feathers back I'd keep her out of the water to keep her for chilling. Can you see any sign of feathers coming back? You could try spraying her area where the feathers are sparse with Veterycin or Theracyn which is less expensive or Derma Gel plus spray and add some extra protien to help get those feathers growing back out before winter. Some dried meal worms or dry puppy food (good quality protein)
No I only have ducks and dogs. My dogs don’t bother the ducks either. And I’m not sure if I can tell if any are growing back yet but I will keep checking! And thank you for the information! Will give these a try!!

Back
Top Bottom