Help!!! IS MOMMA DUCK GOING TO KILL HER BABIES?

schrephouse

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2014
One week old babies. Momma and babies are in their own space with a pond. She has been a good mom all week. I noticed momma bobbing her head at her babies yesterday. This morning she bobbed and grabbed 2 at the back of the neck in the pond. Seems aggressive to me.. Is she going to kill her ducklings? Is this normal behavior? First time duck owner.

20210505_120522.jpg
This is part of their own space we made for her. All fenced and hutch provided. Plenty of room for them to be happy. What's going on?

This is a clip of the head bobbing. This was her behavior this morning when she grabbed 2 by the back of thir neck. I did intervene out of concern. But now I'm afraid to go inside.🤔

Google says "Ducks bob their heads up and down, often excitedly quacking when they are happy – when they see a duck friend they haven't seen in a while (like a whole 15 minutes), when they get some tasty treats, when they are flirting with another duck, when their pool is fresh and clean."

Google says "Ducks bob their heads up and down, often excitedly quacking when they are happy – when they see a duck friend they haven't seen in a while (like a whole 15 minutes), when they get some tasty treats, when they are flirting with another duck, when their pool is fresh and clean."
We had just put fresh water in the pool at that very time. Maybe grabbing the babies was over excitement? I don't know.

So babys are 5 weeks. They all grew out of the area and pond we built. A good friend has a private pond on her property and offered to take them. We kept the drake away until today. The ducklings are huge, do they look like they will be ok with the drake now. Momma and drake on the left, ducklings on the right. He was bothering them a bit.

Attachments

• 20210605_161538.jpg
    20210605_161538.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210605_162259.jpg
    20210605_162259.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom