Help...is my little girl sick?!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Brendaleann, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Brendaleann

Brendaleann New Egg

Feb 21, 2013
    Hi, I am pretty new to a small (7) backyard flock of hens. 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Sex Links, and 1 Easter Egger. All but 2 have recently started laying, and we are loving it! I am concerned that we might have a sick girl and I need some help or advise since I am so new to this.

One of our Buff Orpingtons has started acting very strange. For 2 days now she has not wanted to come down off the roost when all of the others are chomping at the bits to get out into the run first thing in the morning. When she does come down, she goes straight over to a small wagon that is in the run and she hides under it, and barely comes out. I thought at first maybe she was injured because she is favoring one leg over the other. Also her inner eyelid the one that is white is staying shut most of the time. We picked her up and checked her out and there is no visible scratches or injuries to her eye or leg. We did notice her gums are a little white, but other then that she is healthy looking. When I put her down the main hen attacked her, and I've noticed our girl who is 2nd in command has been picking on her as well. She seems very afraid and gets nervous when the others approach her. Her favorite friend in the flock seems to be worried and watching out for her, so I know something is up. I don't really know what to do. I know she can't be getting enough food or water even though I keep putting it near her. Any advise at all would be appreciated.

2. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    I think you should try to take her to the nearest vet. Can you see any pick spots- the areas on your orpington that are targeted by the other chickens? I know that on www.mypetchicken.com they sell this spray that stops picking. This will help with that but about the eyelid, leg, and white gums but I can tell something is wrong. Hope this helps a bit.

3. rachlore

rachlore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Southern US
    You also might want to try posting this same thread in Raising Backyard Chickens Emergencies/Diseases/ Injuries and Cures. Other people there may be able to help you with what I can not.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hi, Breadaleann, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us but sorry to hear about your sick chicken. I am not sure what it might be but I think you should posther symptoms in the link below - the folks on the chicken health thread really know their stuff. I think at the very least you should isolate her from the ones picking on her. Best of luck and hope she gets better soon!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 Welcome to BYC - sorry for the circumstances.

6. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky! I am sorry about your sick chicken.

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Agree with the others - can't say just what, but something is up. If you have birds that are really tormenting her, I'd get her away from them.

Glad you joined us, sorry about the circumstances![​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. It does sound like you have a bullying problem. My solution would be to take out the offenders for a while and let the one being picked on stay. After a week or two, put the offenders back in. Most of the time, not always though, the offenders become the new birds in the flock and are no longer the head bird and the bullying stops. My guess would be the BR is the bully? You will have to do something soon, if blood gets drawn, they will all go after her. Good luck. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by