Help...is this a disease in my chickens?

amcconnell

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
I've had chickens for 10yrs and have never seen anything like this. I have 13 hens and 2 roos. Of the 13 hens (1 Silverlaced Wyandotte-9yrs old, 1 Splash Orp-4yrs old, 1 Splash Orp-3yrs old, 4 Red Sex Links-3 yrs old, 1 mix breed- 2yrs old, 4 mix breed-6mos old, 1 mix from my neighbors that got incorporated into my flock about 10 months ago). My egg production in at the beginning of July was about 6 to 9 eggs daily. Then it dropped to around 4 eggs mid July. I noticed a few feathers in the hen house. I wormed the chickens with Valbazen mid July and no change. Egg production dropped to 0 to 1 egg per day. I checked chickens and saw some lice on one so I treated all with a Permethrin wash and waited a week and treated again (this was the 1st week in August). Still no change in egg production. Now no eggs at all. I thought maybe molting. Last week I found one of my RSL sitting on the hen house floor not able to walk. She would try but just couldn't so she just sat on her feet. I separated her from the rest of the flock. She is not lethargic but will attempt to preen herself, she eats when I giver her food and she drinks. She kind of hobbles...scoots to get around but doesn't move much. She tries to stand but falls over. I thought maybe she got injured somehow but this morning another RSL has started to do the same thing. Now I'm thinking something contagious????? Any ideas from anyone?????

Production in general is down this time of year as molting is starting in many chickens. I'm barely getting any eggs now.

Sex links are notorious for not living long and for developing reproductive cancers.

A few options that come to mind is botulism from consuming moldy feeds, and perhaps tumors pressing on the nerves running to the legs.

I wouldn't necessarily think diseases, though sometimes in the fall migrating birds can bring in respiratory problems and I often get a sick bird from it.

Your birds are pretty old to be showing Mareks symptoms but it's not impossible as some develop symptoms later in life.

I would assume both sex links are related and could possibly have the same problem around the same point in life. I would worry more if any of the other breeds start showing the same symptoms.

Check your feed for mold and look around their area for moldy feeds or maggots. Otherwise I would guess it's a coincidence.

Production in general is down this time of year as molting is starting in many chickens. I'm barely getting any eggs now.

Sex links are notorious for not living long and for developing reproductive cancers.

A few options that come to mind is botulism from consuming moldy feeds, and perhaps tumors pressing on the nerves running to the legs.

I wouldn't necessarily think diseases, though sometimes in the fall migrating birds can bring in respiratory problems and I often get a sick bird from it.

Your birds are pretty old to be showing Mareks symptoms but it's not impossible as some develop symptoms later in life.

I would assume both sex links are related and could possibly have the same problem around the same point in life. I would worry more if any of the other breeds start showing the same symptoms.

Check your feed for mold and look around their area for moldy feeds or maggots. Otherwise I would guess it's a coincidence.
Thanks, I've quarantined them and will keep a close eye on my other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom