Help! Is this chick doomed?

hellothere

Hatching
Mar 13, 2017
It pipped about 15 hours ago and now looks like this? Is it doomed? :( No sign of movement, but I couldn't see any movement the past few days either in my egg that has hatched successfully

Opened the incubator ever so slightly to turn him because the other chick had knocked him pipped side down and I was afraid he'd suffocate. I've seen a lot of threads that say humidity in the brinsea mini eco doesn't suffer badly if you open it a crack. There were only two viable eggs, so I haven't taken the other guy out yet. He hatched around 7 hours ago. It's bed time here now so I'll probably leave him in there till morning. In what way should I assist it? I stared at the egg for awhile there and I think I saw it move a little.

Last edited:
There's a thread on here how to assist but what I usually do is slowly peel the shell away and have a cup of warm water with a paper towel to keep the membrane damp and I slowly peel it if I see bleeding more then just a little I stop I've assisted numerous chicks that way and they have lived but you could probably get better info if you look up the assist thread

Thank you.

So there was no attempt to hatch for over 30 hours after pipping. My mother was trying to assist him all day and now he is just in the membrane. Unfortunately, his yolk sac isn't absorbed, so he wasn't ready even though he pipped so long ago. Don't know what to do now. We probably should have left him alone, but nearly everything I read said he needed to be assisted.

Thank you.

So there was no attempt to hatch for over 30 hours after pipping. My mother was trying to assist him all day and now he is just in the membrane. Unfortunately, his yolk sac isn't absorbed, so he wasn't ready even though he pipped so long ago. Don't know what to do now. We probably should have left him alone, but nearly everything I read said he needed to be assisted.
Some chicks are just meant to not hatch it's just nature I've had chicks that pipped like that I left alone for days and the just eventually died so it's danged if you do danged if you don't kind of thing

If am not wrong, I think its trying to hatch from the pointed end.

Yes! His head was at the pointed end! He's out of the egg now, drying off. His yolk sac is fully absorbed thankfully! He's chirping and trying to get his legs under him. His legs are very stiff, I guess he's weak because he didn't push out of the egg. He hasn't given up yet!

Yes! His head was at the pointed end! He's out of the egg now, drying off. His yolk sac is fully absorbed thankfully! He's chirping and trying to get his legs under him. His legs are very stiff, I guess he's weak because he didn't push out of the egg. He hasn't given up yet!
If he absorbed the sac he'll more then likely make it

Well all we can do is do the best to save rhese type of complicated chicks. We cant change the rules of nature. During my recent hatch one out of 100 had splayed legs. Tried everything i could but was hopeless. I have now left him to his fate

Back
Top Bottom