Help is this chicken peck marks or fowl pox

I’m not an expert but I’ve had plenty of fighting roosters that I’ve had to deal with and that does not look like typical peck marks... they should not be raised and have a white button. I’m sorry but that looks like fowl pox to me.

This is my favorite article regarding the subject...

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

But like I said I’m not a disease expert I’m just going by what I’ve seen personally in the past and all of my roosters have just had bloody flat scabs... so I would like to see if maybe an expert like @Eggcessive can chime in and give her opinion...
It looks like fowl pox virus to me as well. Do not disturb the scabs. It is a mild case, and it will go away on it’s own in a month or so.
Thank you so much I was starting to freak out since everything little thing i see I freak out and research thank you

Few days ago my chickens where fighting and some had some peck marks and one had a swollen face they all have alcohol and antibiotics applied to their wounds but i have also been reading about fowlpox and it looks quite similar like this she had some and they fell off and the skin a little yellow and went back to red they all eat normally if anyone know if this is from peck or scratches or something else
I read through the thread and I see that you said that your chickens have been righting a lot. How many roosters do you have and how many hens?

5 roos and 8 pullets
Ok, that is a big problem. I am sorry but there are too many roosters in your flock. At a minimum, you should have 3 hens per roo. If you do not change your flock system you will get dead chickens because they are fighting too much. You will either have to relocate 3 of the roosters or get one more hen and relocate 2 of the roosters or even get 7 more hens. If you can't do any of these then you will have to kill some of the roosters. It is a tough thing to do but it is for the best of the flock.

Anything I can do they all eat and drink normally but they are starting to fight more and some end up with bloody Crest or wattle
5 roos and 8 pullets
I agree about the Fowl Pox, good suggestions from everyone.

Addressing the fighting is a very good idea.
I'm assuming that since you have pullets, that the "roos" are also cockerels (immature male chickens)?

What is your goals for chicken keeping? Are you planning on breeding, roosters are for enjoyment, food, etc.?
That many males are going to wear out and stress out the pullets. Ideally keeping 1 cockerel separated until he matures would be good, then he can join the ladies.

Separate out the cockerels. Again, Ideally they get their own pen. I get that some people keep "bachelor flocks" but the males do beat up on one another. You can try, but if you are already having issues, then likely they will continue with just the males being together.

Rehoming males you don't want or processing them for food are other options.

I have a bachelor flock of 3 roosters and they had dry fowl pox this summer. I did notice the fighting between them escalate during the time they had pox. I believe they each knew that one or the other wasn't 100% and jumped on the opportunity to move up the pecking order. @Wyorp Rock had to help me with treating some of the injuries (thank God for her!). It'd be a good idea to keep a very close eye on things and have a plan in place, for the boys. This is of course after separating them from the pullets, if you plan on keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom