Help. Is this from a blood feather.

Sbr73

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
New Jersey
So this morning I saw one of my chickens beaks were bloody and thought she was injured. I did not see any injuries yesterday when they were out. I noticed the bloody beaked chicken pecking at another. Well, the other chicken was the one with the injury. Is this from a broken blood feather? What do I do? I have her in a small dog crate in my room for now. Please help. It seems they luck each other’s feathers out when it is time to roost. Idk why. It has been ongoing. What can I do? New chicken mama, first injury. TIA

Attachments

• 20D7D23C-421E-4CCE-98DD-3C449AA27C74.jpeg
    20D7D23C-421E-4CCE-98DD-3C449AA27C74.jpeg
    510.8 KB · Views: 11
Thank you. Should I put her and the crate in her coop so she’s more comfortable being with her flock. Also, should I just use water to clean then vetericin and blukote?
Yes, you should clean the wound with warm water and a rag/paper towel first. Then spray the blu kote and/or vetericin.
I think you should leave her in the house, she is probably more comfortable in there.

I would get some poultry wound spray (from a farm store, or online) because when my chickens have injuries, it seems to help a lot. But since you have blu kote, that should be fine too. Offer her some protein to help grow back those feathers (some kind of meat would be good, maybe tuna or chicken?). Don't let her go back to the flock if there is still visible blood. If the blood is visible to the other chooks, they are more likely to peck at it. Make sure she's drinking her water! Hydration helps a lot!
Keep her as comfortable as possible!

Good luck!

Yes, you should clean the wound with warm water and a rag/paper towel first. Then spray the blu kote and/or vetericin.
I think you should leave her in the house, she is probably more comfortable in there.

I would get some poultry wound spray (from a farm store, or online) because when my chickens have injuries, it seems to help a lot. But since you have blu kote, that should be fine too. Offer her some protein to help grow back those feathers (some kind of meat would be good, maybe tuna or chicken?). Don't let her go back to the flock if there is still visible blood. If the blood is visible to the other chooks, they are more likely to peck at it. Make sure she's drinking her water! Hydration helps a lot!
Keep her as comfortable as possible!

Good luck!
Thank you so much. Since this plucking seems to happen mostly at night, is it a good idea to put pick no more and aprons on my hens? Will this work?

Thank you so much. Since this plucking seems to happen mostly at night, is it a good idea to put pick no more and aprons on my hens? Will this work?
That's a good idea. It'll probably work.

After your hen recovers for the most part (2-3 days), you can put her back with the rest of the flock with an apron on her, and that should stop the pecking.

Back
Top Bottom