Help.... is this officially fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KDbeads, Dec 26, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Hubby decided rather jokingly this morning that he was going to have green and blue eggs and ham. He started cooking his breakfast and came to get me. Pointed to one of the eggs and asked 'how is this possible, I thought they were all girls' So please tell me if we are seeing this correctly, picture isn't the best and the evidence has already been eaten. Right above the flash reflection is a disk, not a dot like on the others we've been getting. The only males near this pen are the silkies and they are 20' away locked in their own pen.
    [​IMG]

These are the culprits, the 2 on the right are laying, the one on the left is about a month younger and hasn't gotten red in the comb yet:
    [​IMG]
    That pic is from October but I can get a new one if needed, the girl on the left looks like the other 2 just not red in the face yet.

2. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    It's hard for me to see it, but I don't think it is fertilized. All three really look like hens to me.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Doesn't look fertile to me.

4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

No I dont think the egg is fertile.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's not fertile. Yep, all hens.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG] Sorry but it looks like a dud to me, not fertile.

AL

7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    What would a fertile egg look like??

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Like a cheerio, kinda....we call it a "bullseye". The white circle will have a little dot in the middle that looks like a circle. There are pictures at the top of the...I think the incubating and hatching eggs thread that shows a "fertile" egg bullseye.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Like this . [​IMG]

10. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh thank heavens! I must really be needing new glasses, I couldn't tell if it had a ring or not [​IMG] With all the rest looking like just a white dot the white disk was different enough to take notice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by