HELP is this pullet sick/contagious

FromChictoChick

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
MA
My Coop
My Coop
Everyone was fine yesterday. I have a small backyard flock of 10 fed an all natural diet (Naturewise)
Hen house is clean, dry and ventilated

They have fresh food and clean water with apple cider vinegar

So, what's wrong with this pullet?

Symptoms: lethargic, fluffed up, eyes closed, head hanging, making a raspy/gurgly sound when it opens it's beak

I brought her inside and put her under a heat lamp and gave her food and water but she didn't seem interested

I didn't see mucus in eyes/nose but I think there was some diarrhea on her feet

It's cold, ~25-30 degrees F

Is this treatable? Is she contagious? Is she contagious to ducklings?

I'll try to post a video

I would not take chances in spreading anything and keep her isolated until she is better. I would treat her with a respiratory med. Teramyicin would be easy to try. If she responds with the extra warmth she will come around within 36 hrs.

I have in past (NO MORE) bought chickens from the flee market. Every time within 2 days they acted like that. Lost a lot of them. Then a friend who has 300 chickens told me what to do. Everybody has there own treatment but this actually works for me every time. I wouldn't bring in in the house from what I have seen makes them worse. But do put it somewhere away from the others. I use a big metal dog carrier. But since built a small 3x5 fenced in area to put sick girls. Even though I haven't used it for a year. LOL.

Anyways, get some Tylan 50. They recommend 1/2 cc for like 3 days. Waste of time. Give it 1 cc just under skin of breast. Make sure no blood in needle. Then get some VetRX, it's like vicks rub sort of. Put one or two drops on each nostril. and rub it around so they breathe it in. Then put 2-3 drops down there throat. Then put about 5 drops in it's water. I'm telling you , within 2-3 days you will be able to put her back with the others.

Again I have watched them when sick. If you move them inside makes it worst. I think the fresh air really helps with the above treatment. Don't know about your hen house, but when I first started raising my flock of reds the first winter I always boarded them up at night. WRONG thing to do. Chickens breathe at night keeps them warm enough. I since opened the front of my hen house so they get a lot of fresh air. Ever since I have done that I have not had one chicken get sick in 2 years. But do realize I live in SC. Lowest it gets here is maybe 20 degrees at night.

But here is an example I'm trying to state. These where taken 2 years ago. Since fenced off a very large area have have only reds and a lot of them. LOL.

You can see all boarded up on the top vents and the front door screen. Had sick chickens all the time:

Now took all the boards off so they get plenty of air but no draft. I position the hen house on the direction of the wind:

Just giving you prevention/remedy tips. LOL Take it for what it's worth. But the remedy WILL work!!!!

Well if it was in the winter which it always was, as long as it's not raining I would keep her outside in a sunny area. At night if it would get too cold I would just move the create to the shed. Moving them inside to outside is too much temp difference. I had two girls once in the warm house for almost 2 weeks. They just seemed to get worse or stay the same. That's when that friend told me what he does. I moved them both outside and I'm telling you within within 2 days it was crazy. The second day they were up and scratching around. It was amazing. Now though if one is getting sick I can tell before they get actually sick. I watch my chickens a lot. lol. So I know how they act, so I can tell the slightest thing that is unusual about them.

The way to learn about something weather people, animals etc is to watch there behavior. Learn sooo much about them by doing just that. Sorry about going off on a tangent. Tend to do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom