Help, I've created a monster turkey!

What a dork lol

Apparently you are a better mate to her. Most hens go broody but not everyone is a good mom. You won't know until you try. It does seem to help if they can be kept separated for the first few weeks, but if you only have one hen it should be okay. I personally prefer to have my bantam hens hatch them and than I raise the poults.

Apparently you are a better mate to her. Most hens go broody but not everyone is a good mom. You won't know until you try. It does seem to help if they can be kept separated for the first few weeks, but if you only have one hen it should be okay. I personally prefer to have my bantam hens hatch them and than I raise the poults.

Ha, well, I don't step on her so I guess I'd prefer me, too :D

Yeah, I'm thinking of shipping him off as soon as I get some definite sign of possible fertile eggs, and I have the incubator and a couple of broody hopefuls. I'm just trying to get a few poults for mom then decide what to do with this overgrown pecky cat/turkey.

Will they get along ok with guinea? Mom has guinea and I don't want them to squabble too much.. I figure maybe the guinea will just hide if they don't like them; mom lets them just roam wherever, so they might not ever even interact, I don't know..

Last edited:
Ha-ha I know, right? Who knew turkeys could be so affectionate? :D

She's my favorite bird probably, ever. Saved herself and probably Tom from the dinner table!

Came outside to a whole bunch of odd racket...

I guess she decided she wants to make a nest in the girls playhouse :D

And she finally laid an egg! Just need to check and see if its fertile since I haven't technically seen them mating yet.

Sounds like Tom is going to get bored with just one hen. I keep mine in a coop with a run attached, they can go in and out during the day and lock em up at night for safety. My hens are all really friendly and come for scritches, except one and she flares and struts like a Tom, my Tom mainly just stays away from me. Turkeys unlike chickens do seem to be more affected by the death of one of the flock.

She wants you, lol. Next time she does it pump your palms on her back, similar to how a tom does with his feet, she'll really like you then!
:lau I've been ruffling her feathers like the chickens when they squat; great, I made her think I was in love too! I definitely haven't seen any of that, but I've been locking them in the last couple of weeks, and there's a strange looking pile of feathers that match the scruff missing off her neck ;) But now I can't quite tell if the eggs are fertile or not....
Sounds like Tom is going to get bored with just one hen. I keep mine in a coop with a run attached, they can go in and out during the day and lock em up at night for safety. My hens are all really friendly and come for scritches, except one and she flares and struts like a Tom, my Tom mainly just stays away from me. Turkeys unlike chickens do seem to be more affected by the death of one of the flock.
They really are unique. I'd always heard about how they were so dumb they would drown in the rain (not true) and that they were dangerously vicious. Well, the Tom chases my youngest, but she's also guilty of teasing him and running away which just makes him chase her. I'm thinking we might butcher him just so we don't have to worry about it. He's walking the line ;)

Back
Top Bottom