Help - Jemima has lice AND a limp!

Dees ducks

Songster
Jan 19, 2019
UK
Hi All,
Well I noticed a few days ago that my Aylesbury Jemima had a slight limp. I picked her up to inspect legs for bumblefoot/breaks/sprains and couldn't see anything alarming. This morning she is limping much worse so I brought her in to the bathtub and let her have a nice warm bath and splash which she thoroughly enjoyed. I think she has early signs of bumblefoot so I've cleaned the foot and treated with epsom salts and lighly wrapped to keep clean. There is no swelling but I will keep my eye on it over the next few days.
That being said - when she was in the bath it was very noticeable that she is infested with lice. She has been losing her feathers over the past few weeks and I though that she was just molting but it looks like lice may be the culprit.
Does anyione have a recommended fast effective treatment that I can get in the UK to treat her. Will I need to treat my other 12 ducks as well even though they are showing no signs of lice?
Thanks all.....

For the mites, you're going to want to use a permethrin-based product, and besides what some people will tell you DE/ diatomaceous earth) will not work. I'm not familiar with any of the products that you have in the UK, but I was able to find this brand on Amazon that's permethrin based.

Here is the brand,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Net-Tex-To...eywords=permethrin&qid=1598528204&sr=8-7&th=1

IMO, look for a spray/liquid, the powder's are harder to apply, and can irritate yours/ and her respiratory system. Dilute the solution if requested on the bottle, I like to use a gallon sprayer, or just a hand sprayer for application. Focus around the vent and under the wings, and with ducks you really have to focus the spray into the skin as their water repellency abilities will simply void off the chemicals. Clean the coop thoroughly, spray down, treat all the birds. Repeat in seven day's as the treatment won't kill the egg's just the adults, so you have to wait for them to hatch for them to be killed.

As far as the limp, could you post a few pictures of her foot pad, and post a video of her walking?

For the mites, you're going to want to use a permethrin-based product, and besides what some people will tell you DE/ diatomaceous earth) will not work. I'm not familiar with any of the products that you have in the UK, but I was able to find this brand on Amazon that's permethrin based.

Here is the brand,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Net-Tex-To...eywords=permethrin&qid=1598528204&sr=8-7&th=1

IMO, look for a spray/liquid, the powder's are harder to apply, and can irritate yours/ and her respiratory system. Dilute the solution if requested on the bottle, I like to use a gallon sprayer, or just a hand sprayer for application. Focus around the vent and under the wings, and with ducks you really have to focus the spray into the skin as their water repellency abilities will simply void off the chemicals. Clean the coop thoroughly, spray down, treat all the birds. Repeat in seven day's as the treatment won't kill the egg's just the adults, so you have to wait for them to hatch for them to be killed.

As far as the limp, could you post a few pictures of her foot pad, and post a video of her walking?
Hi Isaac,
thank you so much for your speedy reply, however, I'm 100% positive it's not mites but lice that she has. I'll try to post a pic of her limp asap but she's in the bath at the moment getting some R&R

Hi Isaac,
thank you so much for your speedy reply, however, I'm 100% positive it's not mites but lice that she has. I'll try to post a pic of her limp asap but she's in the bath at the moment getting some R&R

The product I showed is labeled for "mites", but it will work on lice too. Just as any permethrin based product.

Hi Isaac, o
The product I showed is labeled for "mites", but it will work on lice too. Just as any permethrin based product.
Ordered from Amazon but will not arrive for about 4-5 days. In the meantime, I thought I'd let you know that after quite a few warm baths and lots and lots of splashing and grooming, Jemima is not so bad now with the lice. She's still in bathtub isolated from the rest of the flock but her feathers are looking much better and she's not "crawling" with critters as before. Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom