HELP! Just Hatched Chicks

milezone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
SW Kentucky
Hi All,

Guess I should have asked this before, but did not think 21 days had went by. I just got 2 new little ones hatched from the incubator. During that time 2 of the hens we have had been broody. So can I put the little newborns in the coop with the others, or should I leave them seperate? I have Buff Orp.'s, 10 hens 1 rooster. And now 2 new little ones i do not know what to do with.

Russ

so you have a broody hen that you want to put the babys under???
if you do it at night i dont see why you couldnt. BO make very good mothers i hear. i just hatched one under a barred rock.. mothering skills needs some work. she keep running away from the poor little boy. but he is 5 weeks old now and still alive so shes doing okay.
go for it if you dont want them in a brooder then wait til tonight when they all go to bed and put them under her.

Thanks for the reply, I will try that tonight. But how the heck do they get food and water? The food and water is outside the coop in the pen. As well the nest is a bit high for them to jump out of. Does momma bring them food? Thanks

Russ

oh no..
smile.png
you have you keep a small watering thing next to them for a while and feed momma and babys in the coop until they get bigger

edit it seems when you have a "mom" raise them they dont need as much water. lol i all ways felt like i was refilling up my brooders water. now i just make sure my other chickens dont empty it out but like i said my barred rock is a bad mom but duke is 5 weeks old now so they must know what they are doing:)

Last edited:
But the nest is too small hold the hen, and then a watering bowl? And the nest is about 2 feet up higher than the coop floor. I have 2 broody hens so I gave each hen a chick just now. They seem like they took em right in. Just concerned now about the feeding and watering. :-(

2 feet??? oooo could you somehow put it them on the ground?? they will fall out and hurt themselve crawling out.. then the water and food should be close. mom will show them how to eat and drink. dont worry to much about that. but they shouldnt be that high up.. how old are they (the chicks) a day??
they will be okay with out food and water for 24 hours.
hmmm i wonder.. or put some ramp or something so that they can get in and out. as soon as they get their feet all together they like to move.
hmmmm.. yeah that would be the first issue to solve then as long as you have a water and food that they can acsess (like not hanging or far away) mom will show them how. they are good at learning by example

Last edited:
You have to have have chick starter right near them and water in a waterer made for little chicks so they don't drowned. Make sure the your broody hens and there babies aren't in with other chickens. Other chickens will kill their babies if given the chance.

Quote:
i have hatched 3 clutches and the all were with the other chickens. i have not had any problems. my cohchen even charged one of my goats to get them away. i dont think thats a big problem. BO are suposta be very good mothers.
i have a flock of over 40 chickens and 4 turkey all sleep and roost together

MAN I need to learn how to use periods

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom