Help- Kitten With Bloody Diarrhea

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
Hi, It has been forever since I posted here, but Mittens needs your help! First, a little background. Mittens and his mom, Macie, showed up at our house about 3 1/2 months ago. At first, they were both very skittish and would take the food and run. With time, they both began to trust us. Now, Mittens sleeps on our porch every night and is tamer than our house cats. He loves to be held and scratched, and Macie will allow a good back scratch. We finally decided that we were just going to care for them as our outdoor cats, and pray that they manage to avoid danger. Unfortunately, the day we made their appointment to get spayed, neutered, and vaccinated; Mittens disappeared. We assumed he had been eaten by coyotes, and tried to focus on his mom. However, the next evening, he showed up again. We were overjoyed, but soon noticed that he could barely use his back leg and was very weak. We put him in a large dog crate and moved him to the garage. At that point, he started having really loose stools that he cannot control. We assumed it was just because he was scared, and we decided to let him back outside. Last night, he came back and looked even worse. He ate a little food, but he is weak and had diarrhea caked onto his bottom. This morning we put him back in the dog cage with watered down wet food and fresh water. My sister said he tried to go to the bathroom, and blood came out. I wasn't too sure, but when I tried to clean his bottom with a baby wipe, there was blood. I am hopeful that it is just from his skin being raw since he has to constantly clean the area, but the fact that my sister saw more come out scares me. Our neighbor is actually a vet, but she has not replied to our phone calls yet. I don't know what could be causing diarrhea. He probably really needs to be wormed, and I have heard that it is a symptom of Leukemia. It doesn't make sense that he would have a hurt leg and be poisoned, but I suppose it's possible. Is there anything I can give him to stop the diarrhea before he becomes more dehydrated? Help!

keep giving him wet and dry food and water!! i am not a cat expert but i would give him a litter box and keep cleaning his bottom!!!!

I am afraid I might have just discovered what is wrong. I was trying to clean off his bottom with a rag, and I noticed it looks like the skin is torn and he is actually pooing out of the side.
sad.png
It is hard to get a good look, but I am afraid that's what's wrong. I feel so bad that I was just able to see, and he has been suffering for two days. If our neighbor can't come over tonight, he will most likely be PTS tomorrow.
sad.png

Every time I think about how much pain he is in, I just about start bawling all over again.
sad.png
I finally got a hold of our vet, but she is extremely busy trying to catch up at work and she is at a funeral right now. I tried to explain what is wrong over the phone, but she insisted that we do a fecal first. If she calls us back tonight, I will try to explain to her how urgent it is. I think it must have started small and just continued to rip with the constant licking. I can't believe that we didn't see it before, as all the skin on the right side of his tail is torn through. Poor, poor Mittens. I just wish he could be healthy again. He is still so sweet through all of this, and really just wants to be snuggled. I hope we can end his suffering soon.

Back
Top Bottom