Help! Lame duckling... it's legs don't work right all of the sudden?!?

kmksmommy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
SW Virginia
The duckling is between two and three weeks old, one of six that we believe to be mallards. They are in a large plastic tub with pine bedding, which I change about every ten hours (who knew they were soooo gross;-)). I checked on them this evening and one was sitting oddly with its backend scrunched forward and when it got up to run around the tub with the rest, I noticed that it was throwing one leg behind itself and flopping instead of the regular ducky running. The other leg didn't seem quite right, but was at least going in the right direction:( I inspected it and didn't seem to find anything broken or out of place. I separated it from the others and it is drinking, but I haven't seen it eat anything yet. I'm wondering if maybe one of the others hurt it? They haven't been on newspaper, bare plastic or anything slippery, I've been keeping the bedding quite thick. Thanks in advance for your help!

edited for spelling, long day building the coop:p

Last edited:
what are you feeding your ducklings? regular chick feed doesn't have the nician that ducklings need, that maybe your problem. Go to the grocery store or pharmacy and buy nician [not the non flushing kind] and start adding it to their water. I am not sure on dosage I'll see if i can find out. but get capsules so you can pour it into their water. Regular niacin is supposed to be 100mg per gallon.

Last edited:
Ducklings (and ducks) seem to get leg injuries very quickly and easily. I have had 3 leg injuries in my ducks over the years- 2 breaks and a sprain. Unfortunately, my ducks are such flighty idiots that I couldn't do anything for any of them. I left them to heal on their own and they did. The breaks were a particular challenge (simple fractures with no displacement), but as long as the ducks have access to resources (food and water), enough space to not get repeatedly trampled by their mates, and a safe environment in which to heal, they will do what they need to in order to heal. My first duck with a leg fracture would park himself next to the feeder and hang out there all day long with his leg stretched out in front of him. He did that for weeks. He barely moved except to be shuttled into his house at night. After nearly a month, one day he suddenly started walking again. He had a heavy limp for months after, but he made it.

I'd keep the ducks contained as much as possible while providing a safe area in which your injured bird can heal in. Hopefully the problem is nothing more than just a sprain or strain, but if it is a fracture then although it takes a great deal of time in which to heal, it WILL heal. Allow the injured bird sole access to a feeder and waterer so as not to have any competition from its mates. And monitor for signs of infection. I never had to deal with any infections, but it is always a possibility. Ducks are amazingly resilient. I have always said that chickens are amazingly resilient, but ducks make chickens look like amateurs. Your baby will likely be okay if given half a chance.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Feeding them this http://www.tractorsupply.com/poultry-feed/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20--1039256 non-medicated starter/grower, which claims to be appropriate for ducks, geese, etc. Niacin supplement is listed as an ingredient. The other five ducklings are doing great, this one is sitting to eat and drink, it's leg still looks twisted when its walking:( I'll see about niacin as soon as I can get to the store.

It is by itself, and does seem significantly less stressed than the first 24hrs after I moved it. I'm hoping it was something like a sprain inflicted by a brooder-mate. Thanks a bunch!

This is perfect timing. We have a 2 week old Cayuga that is doing something similar. We decided to put the ducklings in a bigger container to give them more room, so they won't step on each other. I'm wondering about the Niacin. We use waterfowl starter (I think, not at home to check) and we've used it with our other ducklings. I think I'll try the Niacin. Thx. Keep us posted.

I have one duck that fell 3 inches, and landed on her feet, she damaged the joint in some way and can't bend it (but I can without hurting her) so she limps around the yard. It seems to hurt me a lot more than it hurts her. She runs, eats, drinks and can keep up with the flock, but I do hate to see her doing her running limp after the other ducks.

Back
Top Bottom