Help large wound, recovering from flystrike

Tsheaver

Hatching
Aug 12, 2022
I am not sure what type of chicken she is but Matilda has been laying for about 3 months. About 2 weeks ago she got fly strike. I cleaned maggots out daily and cleaned with hydrogen peroxide first couple of days then switched to a wound spray the next couple days. She seemed better was free ranging with no problems butt looked fluffy but still isn’t laying. Last 2 days poo has become really runny and gooey and her Butt has been getting all gross and pasty again. I cleaned it and looked at the wound. It appears to have a big scab and I washed it and sprayed with Vetericyn. I also gave her one calcium citrate +d3 as i read in another post is good to help getting her back to laying. What am I missing? Anything I am not doing that I should be? How can I help with the poop consistency? Overall she is getting around fine but this feels like it’s been going on a long time. We feed country feeds all flock 18% pellet cause we have ducks also. Open to any advice. Thanks in advance.
03A1DD08-E500-4E33-A353-5DE13AF5FE52.jpeg

When feeding all flock feed, which doesn’t have enough calcium in it for layers, it is good to also offer crushed oyster shell in a separate container for calcium. How did your chicken get the wound that got flystrike? Make sure that she is not exposed to flies while the wound is healing. Plain Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment is good for healing wounds. Flystrike usually occurs in hot weather around flies, when a hen is wounded or has a poopy butt. Hoping for a quick recovery with your hen. She might be taking a temporary break from laying.

Back
Top Bottom