Help!! lethargic hen with strange poop! ⚠️⚠️ Poop pictures!!

Kame

Chirping
May 7, 2022
California
Yesterday when I took my chickens outside to play I noticed my hen was a bit lethargic and had white diarrhea. Her comb is in normal shape and her vent looks the same. The day before and yesterday morning she was perfectly fine. She was just as energetic, and her poop was normal. She is a ISA brown hen, and is maybe about 5 years old (the original owner never told me the age). I noticed that there has been less eggs this winter. She doesn't seem to care that much about food. She ate a bit and drank a bit. Her crop was squishy in the afternoon. Her feathers are a bit fluffed up, and she walks really slowly. When I took her out, she ate a bunch of grass and her crop hardened a little. Like at 4:00 pm I tried to give her garlic with treats and she was completely uninterested. I have no idea what it is. Here poop seems to be kinda clear with bits of white, green, and yellow. The more solid ones are a very light green. The have a very good consistency. The picture with the two very different poops, one is from her and the healthy one is of her sister. Her sister seems to be perfectly fine.

IMG_20230129_140211386.jpg
IMG_20230129_140225394.jpg
IMG_20230129_143841804_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230129_145307694.jpg
IMG_20230129_152228260.jpg
IMG_20230129_140232318.jpg

IMG_20230129_170127162.jpg

Yesterday when I took my chickens outside to play I noticed my hen was a bit lethargic and had white diarrhea. Her comb is in normal shape and her vent looks the same. The day before and yesterday morning she was perfectly fine. She was just as energetic, and her poop was normal. She is a ISA brown hen, and is maybe about 5 years old (the original owner never told me the age). I noticed that there has been less eggs this winter. She doesn't seem to care that much about food. She ate a bit and drank a bit. Her crop was squishy in the afternoon. Her feathers are a bit fluffed up, and she walks really slowly. When I took her out, she ate a bunch of grass and her crop hardened a little. Like at 4:00 pm I tried to give her garlic with treats and she was completely uninterested. I have no idea what it is. Here poop seems to be kinda clear with bits of white, green, and yellow. The more solid ones are a very light green. The have a very good consistency. The picture with the two very different poops, one is from her and the healthy one is of her sister. Her sister seems to be perfectly fine.

View attachment 3390507View attachment 3390505View attachment 3390504View attachment 3390503View attachment 3390502View attachment 3390506

View attachment 3390501
I could be wrong, but that looks like worms... when was the last time she was wormed?

You need to clean and remove the feces off her rear end and look for fly strike aka maggots, hopefully there arnt any.
Then inspect her for closely for lice and mites on her skin and fluff, especially around her vent area.
Stop the treats and garlic and feed her layer feed only. Worm her as mentioned with Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Worm all your birds while your at it.
Then give her plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk in her feed for a couple of days after worming her.

Thank you!!!! Sorry i didn't answer sooner, I was at school. No I have never wormed my hens since the year I had them. I used to give them garlic almost every day to as a preventative. I just haven't recently because school had made me very distracted. Is there anything I can give her in the meantime I get the wormer? Amazon says the earliest day of shipping is this Thursday. I wanted to go to tractor supplies but it is too far. I'll check her in a bit to see how she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom