Help, lethargic pullet

LuRolin

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
I have a 4 month old Brahma pullet that started acting lethargic last night. She just stands there and sleeps, breathing is a little labored, no interest in food or water but her crop isn't totally empty. Don't think she's egg bound as she hasn't laid yet and is a little young for that still. She feels lighter than I think she should but I have no other girls the same age to compare her to, her comb is still red. Nobody else is sick, no signs of trauma. I don't free range them, and she hasn't pooped in the hour she's been in my laundry room. Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to lose her!

No Signs of lice or mites, is she too young to be having worm issues? She still hasn't pooped, I got her to take a tiny amount of yogurt and she is taking a warm bath now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Two things come to mind....

1. Coccidiosis and I would treat with Corid just to be on the safe side. Bloody poop doesn't need to be seen.

2. Sour or Impacted crop. For sour crop the crop will feel like a water balloon. Impacted crop...after not eating overnight, the crop will be empty normally. If it isn't empty, treat for impacted crop.

Did some research on Coccidiosis, that doesn't seem likely as I haven't added any new birds in quite a while and it has a short life cycle. My youngest birds are 4 months old, I've never had an outbreak of it and nobody else in my flock of 30 birds is sick. Her crop does feel a little squishy (not full or tight as in a water balloon, and has a combination of liquids and some of the grainy crumbles) it felt exactly like that of one of my healthy hens, and softer than that of a 3rd one I felt for comparison so I don't think it could be impacted. I'll keep her in tonight and just feed yogurt and soft/wet foods but really don't know what else to try.

Did some research on Coccidiosis, that doesn't seem likely as I haven't added any new birds in quite a while and it has a short life cycle. My youngest birds are 4 months old, I've never had an outbreak of it and nobody else in my flock of 30 birds is sick.  Her crop does feel a little squishy (not full or tight as in a water balloon, and has a combination of liquids and some of the grainy crumbles) it felt exactly like that of one of my healthy hens, and softer than that of a 3rd one I felt for comparison so I don't think it could be impacted. I'll keep her in tonight and just feed yogurt and soft/wet foods but really don't know what else to try. 
I would think with Cocci you would notice an outbreak, but I also have never experienced one.

I would keep her warm. Deworm the flock as a preventative.

I read about feeding olive oil in case of a digestive impaction, any thoughts on that idea? She has been in my house for a couple hours now and still has not passed any droppings. Her breathing seemed to improve after her bath but she is still just sleeping all the time.

You do not need to see an outbreak if it is Coccidiosis. You can have only one experience it. Coccidia is a protozoan that is constantly found in the soil. You don't need to add new birds or, have a history of Coccidiosis in your flock. It is a naturally occuring organism. It is also found in rabbit, squirrel and other rodent droppings and in wild bird droppings. In times of heat and humidity, it can be deadly to any age of chicken. There are new strains of coccidia being found in necropsies.

If one bird experiences an overload or stress of some kind, the Coccidia move in. If she were mine, I would treat. It won't hurt and it just might save her.

How fast would she go downhill with Coccidiosis? Where she was sitting upright earlier she is now laying down almost on her side in just a matter of a few hours. Not sure she'll last long enough for me to get to the closest place to get Corid :(

Chickens do not show symptoms of an illness until they are extemely ill. As prey animals, they can't afford to be sick or, they become someone's supper.

Coccidiosis can kill in hours since it is 'hidden' sometimes until it is too late. Try and get the Corid and then hand dose her. Using an eyedropper, dose her with as much as you would think she will drink in one sitting. Do this every two hours until she is up drinking on her own.

Back
Top Bottom