HELP! Lethargic...weird poop...poor coordination in my hen

Teresa Q

Chirping
Oct 10, 2022
My Dahlia has been separated from the flock for a week. I have spent lots of time reading and looking at chicken poop pictures! Nothing seems to be clicking so I'm looking for help.

She is a 2 year old egg layer
Her comb is pale and she sits a lot and falls asleep. That is not her normal behavior.

I found her away from the flock for a couple weeks prior.
She is uncoordinated and uses her wing to hold herself up.

She ate some plain yogurt and mash I made from her food today but appetite seems to be decreasing. She is drinking water. Her poop is yellow and frothy and then it's also green..it doesn't look wormy per se...

Her crop is squishy. I treated the whole flock with Corrid but it didn't seem to help her. I had a rooster die 3 weeks ago (pre corrid ) and a new hen looking lethargic with random watery poops around.

No one has appeared to have any injury or wound of any type. I'm at a loss and dont wont to lose my flock.

Attachments

• 20221010_094449.jpg
    20221010_094449.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221010_094438.jpg
    20221010_094438.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 6
In my case, that bright green poop was a sign of not enough nutrition. They had squishy crops because of water intake without food. But I could tell it was water by the feel. If it's a dough like consistency then I cannot speak because I've not dealt with that, yet. Someone with more experience will hopefully be on here soon and offer you better insight and how to proceed.

In my case, that bright green poop was a sign of not enough nutrition. They had squishy crops because of water intake without food. But I could tell it was water by the feel. If it's a dough like consistency then I cannot speak because I've not dealt with that, yet. Someone with more experience will hopefully be on here soon and offer you better insight and how to proceed.
Thank you!

We had a similar condition several years ago with one of our18 month old hens. It was not Marek's, which is similar symptomatically to what you are describing,, thank God as it is a death sentence for un vaccinated hens. At that time I was able to buy Chlorotetracycline for chickens at the farm supply in 250 mg capsules that were administered once daily for 2 days, which cured her.
Unfortunately, today you cannot get any antibiotics of this caliber without a visit to the poultry vet. Activist for food purity are the main reason for this.

If you really love her, and money is no obstacle, get her to a vet ASAP, as with chicken diseases, they work fast, if you wait a day or two, they often are too far gone to recover.

If she does not recovers and remains ill, you risk her infecting the other birds.

If you have a local commercial chicken ranch, some of them have an on call vet who may be willing to help.

We had a similar condition several years ago with one of our18 month old hens. It was not Marek's, which is similar symptomatically to what you are describing,, thank God as it is a death sentence for un vaccinated hens. At that time I was able to buy Chlorotetracycline for chickens at the farm supply in 250 mg capsules that were administered once daily for 2 days, which cured her.
Unfortunately, today you cannot get any antibiotics of this caliber without a visit to the poultry vet. Activist for food purity are the main reason for this.

If you really love her, and money is no obstacle, get her to a vet ASAP, as with chicken diseases, they work fast, if you wait a day or two, they often are too far gone to recover.

If she does not recovers and remains ill, you risk her infecting the other birds.

If you have a local commercial chicken ranch, some of them have an on call vet who may be willing to help.
Thank you! I fear I will lose her as I haven't found any immediate local help...guess I was hoping it was something I could try to do at home but just dont know enough about it...thank you for your input...

Back
Top Bottom