HELP -Lice - how do you tell? and if one has them, wont all have them?

Pecked2Death

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Hi,

My daughter is sure that our broody that has recently hatched chicks, and the chicks have lice. All the chickens were close together (20) until just before Broody hatched her clutch.

When we bought some of the birds - 14 of them, we thought they may have had lice as they kept scratching themselves a lot (once we got them home - ours had never done that) so I am guessing we may have to wash each hen and then new hen house out.

I need help - big time - we normally go organic - but I read the neat organic wash - however I don;t think I could manage that with 20 chickens - but will if that is the only way. :)

I use an organic water soluble preventative that is meant for dogs and cats, but says that it can be used on livestock.

But to get rid of what you have now, I say get some sevin and save those birds from the discomfort of lice. They can really do a number on them.

Hi,

My daughter is sure that our broody that has recently hatched chicks, and the chicks have lice. All the chickens were close together (20) until just before Broody hatched her clutch.

When we bought some of the birds - 14 of them, we thought they may have had lice as they kept scratching themselves a lot (once we got them home - ours had never done that) so I am guessing we may have to wash each hen and then new hen house out.

I need help - big time - we normally go organic - but I read the neat organic wash - however I don;t think I could manage that with 20 chickens - but will if that is the only way. :)
You can actually see lice crawling on them if in fact they have lice. Chicks will consistantly scratch fluff off themselves in preparation for regular feather growth. Perhaps this is what you're witnessing.

Back
Top Bottom