Help! Life?Day 13, First time candling!!! (with a video)

I tried to candle one egg at the nesting site yesterday. No go. I decided to just leave mom to it because today is day 18. If there are chicks I’m hoping I’m ready. So what do I need and what do I have to watch for.
The nest is in a small off the ground coop. In the roost area I put down PDZ but mama scattered pine chips over it. I have a chick type feeder and waterer ready to put in place when they are hatched. Do I need to watch for poopie butts or is it different when mama takes charge?
I’m a 70 year old great-grandmother first timer for chicks. I feel like an expectant dad.

@FeatherTay thank you again for your advice. I thought I’d give you an update as today is day 25!
Well you were absolutely correct about #16 (21:31). It was indeed underdeveloped and was the crushed one soon after doing this candling. Sadly this was my only Buff Orpington egg from my oldest hen, the only surviving one of my very first flock.
#s 8,9,14, and 15 hatched so you were spot on with those!
Here’s a surprise! #12 is alive and was the first to hatch! AND #11 is also alive

You weren’t able to make guesses about #s 1-7 due to terrible candling and video.
#s 3, 5, and 6 hatched. #2 isn’t under mama. #s 1, 4, and 7 are still under her.
Obviously either I miscalculated dates or mama didn’t get serious on the first few days because I had moved her and her eggs into a private coop. The first one didn’t pip until the 22nd night.
B1A451AA-AA5B-49DE-9CBB-5168186F6BE8.jpeg
Some were peeking out this morning.

@FeatherTay thank you again for your advice. I thought I’d give you an update as today is day 25!
Well you were absolutely correct about #16 (21:31). It was indeed underdeveloped and was the crushed one soon after doing this candling. Sadly this was my only Buff Orpington egg from my oldest hen, the only surviving one of my very first flock.
Here’s a surprise! #12 is alive and was the first to hatch! AND #11 is also alive

You weren’t able to make guesses about #s 1-7 due to terrible candling and video.
#s 3, 5, and 6 hatched. #2 isn’t under mama. #s 1, 4, and 7 are still under her.
Obviously either I miscalculated dates or mama didn’t get serious on the first few days because I had moved her and her eggs into a private coop. The first one didn’t pip until the 22nd night. View attachment 2709253Some were peeking out this morning.
Yay! I’m glad you got some to hatch! I’m sorry about #16. I’m glad I could help if it was a little bit. Also, it’s great that I was wrong on a couple, because you got some babies! I hope you have fun with them and good luck!

Ps. I’m sorry I didn’t see when you asked about #16 :(

Sadly egg#4 broke with an almost finished deceased chick inside. She’s sitting on the other 2 now and has ncluded #2 again. I’m going to let her sit on these 3 a bit longer, then will check for pips and peeps. If none I think it might be time to call it a day. The first one pipped on day 22, the last one zipped the 24th night. Today is day 25. It’s a full 3 days since the first Pip. Am I thinking correctly? Or should I wait one more day?

Sadly egg#4 broke with an almost finished deceased chick inside. She’s sitting on the other 2 now and has ncluded #2 again. I’m going to let her sit on these 3 a bit longer, then will check for pips and peeps. If none I think it might be time to call it a day. The first one pipped on day 22, the last one zipped the 24th night. Today is day 25. It’s a full 3 days since the first Pip. Am I thinking correctly? Or should I wait one more day?
Can you candle them? If not I would wait one more day since the last chick only hatched last night. :)

Obviously either I miscalculated dates or mama didn’t get serious on the first few days because I had moved her and her eggs into a private coop. The first one didn’t pip until the 22nd night. View attachment 2709253Some were peeking out this morning.
what a proud looking momma :)
She’s going to have her wings full!

I’ve been wondering... how bad is that final broody poop after momma finally is done with the hatch :oops:

Can you candle them? If not I would wait one more day since the last chick only hatched last night. :)
I seriously need a better light. I did try briefly. One I couldn’t see an air sac just at the wide end and looked like the air space was along the wall with solid along the opposite side. Of course this was with it being held on its side. The contents of the solid side seemed to slide to the bottom as I rolled it so I’m pretty sure it’s a quitter. But I’d hate to be wrong! The second one I candled had an air pocket but the rest just looked solid and it was a medium brown color making it difficult. I agree in letting her sit one more night. I think tomorrow afternoon is time to stop.

what a proud looking momma :)
She’s going to have her wings full!

I’ve been wondering... how bad is that final broody poop after momma finally is done with the hatch :oops:
She sure is, those babies will keep her hopping!
Since I am keeping the pop door closed until all are hatched and mama is ready to take the chicks outdoors she has chosen a corner to poop in. Her second poop was disturbing because Bern (hubby) and I saw a lump of feathers squashed against a low corner wall. We were sure it was a dead chick. When Bern tried to pick it up with a litter scoop it smeared and released the most foul odor! Wow! Cleanup was a force to be reckoned with!

Back
Top Bottom