Help! Listless and panting hen

Caity

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Central, NC
We have 4, 8-month-old hens, and one was acting strange this morning. Usually they're pacing at the door ready to go out, but this morning one, Lily, just stood there. My husband picked her up and carried her out of the coop, and when he set her down she still didn't move at all, but just stood still. We even sprinkled hulled sunflower seeds at her feet (her favorite), and she just stood there while all the other hens raced over and took them. My husband noticed that she had some poop on her tail feathers around her vent, which wasn't there yesterday and isn't normal for her.

He brought her in the house and he gave her water with a little sugar mixed in, which she drank. She refused her usual food, but ate a little cooked rice. She looked slightly more alert for a little while, but now is back to resting with her eyes closed. She also has her mouth open like she is panting. It's warmer in the house than outside but not much warmer--we live in NC, so outside during the day has been in the 50s and the house is only about 70--so I don't know if she's panting because she's hot or if it's a symptom. She pooped and it was very watery but normal colored.

We had four eggs (one from each hen) on Tuesday, and three yesterday (but that's been pretty standard since winter hit), so I don't think she's egg bound. Her eyes and nose look clear. Can an 8-month old hen get coccidiosis? All we really have to go on is watery poo, panting, and listlessness!

We plan to keep her separate from the other hens, but other than that, we aren't sure what to do with her. Does anyone have any ideas? We'd be crushed to lose her!

Thanks!!!

You need to keep her inside where it's warm and draft free with access to food and water. You also should do a thorough exam, checking for lumps, stuck eggs, mites, lice, cuts, swelling, bruising, etc... What does her crop feel like, full, empty or something else? Listen to her breathing for wheezing or other signs of respiratory problems. What color is her comb? Does her poop smell? Can you post some pictures of her poop?

She's warm and has access to food and water, and right now she's sitting in a temporary nesting box we made her in my husbands office (a small tub full of shavings with a carpet scrap partially wrapped around it to give her privacy):

She doesn't have any lumps, stuck eggs, mites, lice, cuts, swelling or bruising that we could see, but we will do a more thorough check once we have an extra set of hands--I'm not at home, so husband is alone with her. Her crop is mostly empty and soft. There are no signs of respiratory problems, other than the panting (which she has since stopped). She does look a little pale. I'll have husband send me a picture of her next poop (he already cleaned up the last), and he said it was watery, but didn't smell any different from a regular poop. Thanks for helping Casportpony!

So maybe even though it was small, it might have been giving her trouble? Husband said she is much livelier now, ate normal pellets, and is strutting around his office more normally.

So maybe even though it was small, it might have been giving her trouble?  Husband said she is much livelier now, ate normal pellets, and is strutting around his office more normally.

Yes, it could have been the issue. Now would be a good time to weigh her and treat for lice/mites and de-worm her even if you can't see any.

Update: After she laid her egg and took a little nap, Lilly perked up. She was still a little pale and lethargic yesterday afternoon, but this morning seems to be back to normal. We're hoping it was just a one-time problem with her egg! Thanks for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom