Help! Little chicken with a broken leg

Gabriel García

Hatching
May 18, 2017
Beforehand sorry for my bad english
Hi I have two little chickens on my backyard they've been with me for a little more than a month. I was cleaning their coop I accidentally hurt one of them with the coop and one of his legs started bleeding and I just don't know what to do, if leave it like that o do something I'm new taking care of chickens. I'd really appreciate any kind of help.
WhatsApp Image 2017-05-18 at 12.07.09 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-05-18 at 12.07.09 PM (1).jpeg

Hello, so sorry about your little chicken's injury.

I would clean the wound - either diluted hibiclens or with hydrogen peroxide. Use an antibacterial topical spray - or ointment. dress it with a clean bandage and try to splint the toe. Give her a place that's safe to sleep. Watch for signs of infection, change the dressings and clean the wounds daily. If the bandages try to stick, soak the wound briefly in warm salt water so they come off easy or if you have a non-stick bandage - that would be better.

If you see any pus, redness or swelling then start a new thread with close up pics.

Good luck, hope she'll be ok.

Welcome to BYC, glad to have you join us. You should consider an intro under the New Members forum to get a proper welcoming.

Back
Top Bottom