HELP!! Lonely Goose

Sarniedaz

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013

HELP !! Can anyone please help in identifying the type of goose in the above picture. I live on a narrow boat and this goose has lost his (well I believe it to be a him due to his blue eyes), partner which has been missing for some time.

I'm lead to believe they mate for life but I'm considering buying a new partner for him/her and if I did would they pair up. He seems so lonely.

Any help would be appreciated and if someone know where I could get one from, I live in the Doncaster area.

HELP !! Can anyone please help in identifying the type of goose in the above picture. I live on a narrow boat and this goose has lost his (well I believe it to be a him due to his blue eyes), partner which has been missing for some time.

I'm lead to believe they mate for life but I'm considering buying a new partner for him/her and if I did would they pair up. He seems so lonely.

Any help would be appreciated and if someone know where I could get one from, I live in the Doncaster area.
This looks to be a mixed breed goose and my guess is a female due to the bill. The blue eyes come from the parent that had the white plumage. Sadly, if this is a domestic mix that is living wild it may not last too long out there without proper night time housing. Only birds that fly well have any chance of escaping a predator and most domestic breeds don't fly well enough to qualify.

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I JUST GOT A SIMILIAR TYPE OF GOOSE AND SAME SEX,DO YOU THINK HE/SHE WOULD STAY WITH HIM/HER.THE GOOSE IS OFTEN CRYING OUT BUT GETS NO REPLY. SOMEONE OUT THERE MUST KNOW WHAT TYPE OF GOOSE THIS IS PLEASE TRY TO HELP!!!

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I JUST GOT A SIMILIAR TYPE OF GOOSE AND SAME SEX,DO YOU THINK HE/SHE WOULD STAY WITH HIM/HER.THE GOOSE IS OFTEN CRYING OUT BUT GETS NO REPLY. SOMEONE OUT THERE MUST KNOW WHAT TYPE OF GOOSE THIS IS PLEASE TRY TO HELP!!!
Hi Sarniedaz, how kind of you to want to help the goose. It looks more female than male to me, just the carriage, but can´t say for sure.

Assuming it´s a male, then getting a female would be great, but same sex most likely wouldn´t be, obviously.
Assuming it´s a female, same sex would give her company, so getting a female to be a companion would be the better thing, not knowing if this one is male or female.

Do you already feed her/him?

YES WE FEED THE GOOSE DAILY HE/SHE KNOCKS ON THE BOAT WHEN HUNGRY SOMETIMES THROUGH THE NIGHT AND SOMETIMES JUST SLEEPS NEXT TO THE BOAT. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TYPE OF FEMALE GOOSE I SHOULD BUY? I THINK IT IS FEMALE BECAUSE IT HAS RAISED A LOT OF ORPHANED DUCKLINGS THIS YEAR, NOW I KNOW WHERE THE TERM MOTHERGOOSE COMES FROM..

Hi Sarniedaz.

Geese love baby things!
Do you know anyone near who has geese to sell? I don´t know Doncaster too well, but there must be a number of ´people who keep geese around there. The goose that has made friends with you is probably a cross-breed, but she has a touch of West-of-England about her. The blue eyes come from a few breeds of goose. Pretty aren´t they?
Is there a livestock market where you are? You could go and see there if anyone can help out. Lots of people who farm larger animals also keep a few geese.

Sorry, didn´t say that any breed or cross-breed of goose that you´ll find on a farm nearby would do fine.

Nice how she has taken to you and that you´re enjoying her. Does she have a name?
smile.png

YES WE FEED THE GOOSE DAILY HE/SHE KNOCKS ON THE BOAT WHEN HUNGRY SOMETIMES THROUGH THE NIGHT AND SOMETIMES JUST SLEEPS NEXT TO THE BOAT. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TYPE OF FEMALE GOOSE I SHOULD BUY? I THINK IT IS FEMALE BECAUSE IT HAS RAISED A LOT OF ORPHANED DUCKLINGS THIS YEAR, NOW I KNOW WHERE THE TERM MOTHERGOOSE COMES FROM..
Even ganders will raise ducklings and goslings. So that may not be a clue to gender. My gander which is Embden and would make a nice paring with yours, raised ducklings one year, I called him Papa Goose. Embden geese are a nice breed of geese and maybe easier to find where you live since a lot of folks raise them for the table. Not me, but they are considered a table bird. But if you have a lot of Preds then they will be venerable to attack. It sure is a beautiful goose.

In England there are, of course, foxes, and the odd stray dog, but there are a lot of people that keep geese in parks and gardens...pred threat isn´t anything like it is in the US, even here in Brazil, it´s nothing like in the US from what I´ve read on the threads! Also, they´ve been around the boat 4 years or so, so it can´t be that dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom