Help: losing feathers and skin turning blue? UPDATED

clickchicks

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Texas
Update: So I went to check on my other two hens and low and behold, the chicken who was plucking at this one was now picking at the feathers of my other chicken. So for sure, without a doubt, this was caused by a deviant hen.

I'm going to look for some enrichment things to add to their run like MysteryChicken suggested, but should I consider changing their food? I've read feather picking can sometimes be a dietary thing. Right now they are on an 18% grower with free choice calcium.

For now the deviant hen is in a separate pen within the run where she can see the others but not get to them and the plucked girl is back out with her flockmate.

Original post:
I noticed one of my hens getting picked at by her flockmate and discovered this.

Does anyone know what it is? The feathers have been stripped in a little "u" shape under the vent area and the skin is turning blue. Is that necrosis? Brusing?

Between 8-9 months old. She just laid her first egg yesterday, and another today. She's eating/drinking normally and seems active and alert.

IMG_2102.jpg
IMG_2104.jpg
IMG_2100.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like bruising.

I caught this because one of the other chickens was picking at her, so maybe that hen has been bullying her. This was the first time I've noticed it, though. The chicken pictured is sort of "middle of the pack" and doesn't usually get bullied.

I'm nervous about the location... I've seen pictures of impactions or egg bound birds that get necrotic skin around this area :(

I caught this because one of the other chickens was picking at her, so maybe that hen has been bullying her. This was the first time I've noticed it, though. The chicken pictured is sort of "middle of the pack" and doesn't usually get bullied.

I'm nervous about the location... I've seen pictures of impactions or egg bound birds that get necrotic skin around this area :(
It's just bruising, so there's no concern. The only thing to deal with is the picking. Do you have chicken toys?

I noticed one of my hens getting picked at by her flockmate and discovered this.

Does anyone know what it is? The feathers have been stripped in a little "u" shape under the vent area and the skin is turning blue. Is that necrosis? Brusing?

Between 8-9 months old. She just laid her first egg yesterday, and another today. She's eating/drinking normally and seems active and alert.

View attachment 2441449View attachment 2441450View attachment 2441451
I had a barred rock hen that the others picked on a lot and they pulled a lot of feathers from around her tail but it was on top mostly. Separating her from the flock was all I could do. She did very well once I did that. Good luck!

It's just bruising, so there's no concern. The only thing to deal with is the picking. Do you have chicken toys?

Sort of. Not dedicated toys but I do things like tie balls of leafy greens together and hang them around their run, mixed with various treats/scratch that I scatter around for them. I only have 3 chickens and they have quite a bit of area to forage around in. About 30x20 ft and an 8x8 coop.

@Pandemic pandemonia Good call, I separated her for now and will keep an eye on things for a day or two just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom