Help! Lump on keel bone!

Wolfefarmyard

Crowing
6 Years
Aug 18, 2017
Gansevoort, NY
Hi guys!
I have a very handsome lf Cochin cockerel that’s around 5 months old, that I discovered has a lump!

The lump is on his keel bone, on his underside. It’s fairly soft to the touch.

I’m rather concerned because he’s so young and I’m very attached to him.

I added a picture of the lump, please let me know what you think! Thank you!

5087E44E-50AB-4833-9501-BDA58C433782.jpeg

That area is common for a breast blister, which can be caused by pressure from lying on the ground or on a roost that is rough. Is there any scab? But that looks like that could be a cyst or tumor. How does it feel—soft and puffy or hard?

That area is common for a breast blister, which can be caused by pressure from lying on the ground or on a roost that is rough. Is there any scab? But that looks like that could be a cyst or tumor. How does it feel—soft and puffy or hard?

There’s no scab, and it feels soft to the touch.

Lipomas or fatty tumors are common benign tumors on humans and animals, so that could be a possibility. Does it feel like that, or possibly like air under the skin?

Lipomas or fatty tumors are common benign tumors on humans and animals, so that could be a possibility. Does it feel like that, or possibly like air under the skin?

Okay, since it hasn’t gone down, I inserted a syringe to see what I would find. A lot of yellowish fluid came out. I attached an image of it, what do you think it is?
3CDBC7AC-967F-43C6-8659-3575FBAF3682.jpeg
2EE39948-55EF-434D-AFF7-A41587F4B88B.jpeg

That is probably ascites also called water belly. Ascites is very common in hens. I have had several myself. It can occur with reproductive cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, liver disease, and heart failure. Draining may help to relieve pressure and breathing, and may need to be repeated when symptoms worsen. It is not without risk, and it is eventually fatal.

That is probably ascites also called water belly. Ascites is very common in hens. I have had several myself. It can occur with reproductive cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, liver disease, and heart failure. Draining may help to relieve pressure and breathing, and may need to be repeated when symptoms worsen. It is not without risk, and it is eventually fatal.

Hmm, that’s interesting since he’s a cockerel. Also he has no other symptoms, he acts completely normal. I would have never noticed it in the first place if I hadn’t picked him up.

I have heard of ascites before, but I’ve always seen it in the lower abdomen area, where as his is up near his breast.

Back
Top Bottom