1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!!!! Malformed chick. What should I do?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alexia, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I bought some silkie eggs on ebay. It was a very poor hatch. 3 out of 12 eggs developed. First one to hatch was a perfect little chick (except that is looks light buff instead of white). Second one to hatch was very deformed. Only has one eye and one of its legs is attached to her belly so she cannot get it straight (it also has 7 toes). She has very poor balance and difficulty walking. I am so sad. Don't know what to do? Do you think she can grow to be a happy chicken or should I end up her misery now? Third one died last night during hatching :):):)( Please advice on second baby. Thank you

2. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I would cull it. It doesn't sound like it has much of a chance. I would probably wait 24 hours (though I can't say for sure 'cause I haven't seen it) but if it can't really walk/stand it won't be able to eat. Poor baby. I hope the other stays healthy and happy. :) Also, if the first, healthy one is the only to survive, it will be lonely. You might want to look into getting another chick or two to keep it company if you won't be able to spend a lot of time with it.

3. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you. A have a few more eggs that are due on Feb 3rd so they can keep this one some company. For the meantime I put a stuffed bear with her to keep her company. She seem to enjoy it. She was peeping really hard yesterday until I put the bear with her. Now she is quiet and like to snuggle with her new stuffed animal.

What is be best way to sacrifice the chick in case I decide this is the best opition?

4. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Awww. That's so cute. I don't know that I would have thought about putting a stuffed animal in with her.

I've heard of a lot of people using very sharp pruning shears to snip of it's head. It's easy while they are still little. I think that is the way I would go. Some people put them in a paper bag to do it so they don't have to see it, but I'm not sure how that would work... If it is happy and likes people some just hold them until they pass. This way they are content and happy. Or you could just break it's neck. If you choose a forced death method just make sure you do it quick, hard and determined so there aren't any accidents. I don't know how experienced you are with culling. I've never personally done but I have been watching it since I was itty bitty and it is devastating if not done correctly the first time.

Good luck on your next batch of babies. :) I hope they are all healthy.

5. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I have never culled any before and I don't think I could do it myself or even watch. I would probably have a friend of mine do it for me. Thank you.

6. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    This is something I recently enquired about as I'm going to be hatching my own soon, Lord willing.

Honey, he's struggling. His death without your intervention will be slow. :( I know it's killing you inside.

Get a paper bag and use sharp shears. Do it in the bag so that you needn't see. Once you've snipped just drop the chick and remove your hands and roll it closed.

My heart goes out to you. {{HUGS}}

7. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    I don't think I can do it. How do I know is suffering? He seems to sleep a lot and is not peeping so he is probably comfortable for now. My friend said he will come over tomorrow and do it. :(

8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm really sorry, Alexia. This is one of the saddest parts of chicken husbandry. We pretty much all go through it at some point or another. You can expect to be pretty sad over it for a bit but don't beat yourself up over it. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it. It just happens sometimes. Sending lots of (((((((hugs))))))) your way. [​IMG]

9. Alexia

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    Thank you LaynaDon95.[​IMG]

10. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    No problem, Hun. Keep me posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.