Help - mama hen threw baby out!!!!!!

I just got her to drink from the eye dropper. I had some of that save-a-chick powder so I mixed up that with some of our honey from our own bees. She drank it and then fell asleep again. She is starting to dry off but her butt still has that slimey thing with the piece of shell attached.
Good for you! I would advise leaving that leftover yolk sac/umbilical alone for now...she's stressed enough. Later on you can give her what I call a "cotton-ball" bath with warm water to help get some of that off.

I was just out there - she is drinking and had her eyes open more. She was even chirping at me. She is very wobbly when she moves but much better than earlier today. Hopefully she will make it. I'll keep checking on her throughout the night. Thanks

This morning she is in much better shape. She is moving and peeping and drinking. I haven't really seen her eat yet but yesterday was pretty traumatic for her. She is so sweet - she likes to sit in my hand under the heat lamp. I keep saying "her" but obviously I have no idea. She is quite a mutt - mom is a white plymouth rock and dad is a partridge rock/red sex link. Her mom survived a horrible dog attack earlier this year so she must have her mom's fighter genes in there! Here she is.....

This morning she is in much better shape. She is moving and peeping and drinking. I haven't really seen her eat yet but yesterday was pretty traumatic for her. She is so sweet - she likes to sit in my hand under the heat lamp. I keep saying "her" but obviously I have no idea. She is quite a mutt - mom is a white plymouth rock and dad is a partridge rock/red sex link. Her mom survived a horrible dog attack earlier this year so she must have her mom's fighter genes in there! Here she is.....
Wow! What a HUGE difference a day makes!!
love.gif
I'm so happy for you! Post more pics as she gets older...I'd love to see her progress!

She is a little miracle! Now my husband said this morning that she should come inside with us because it's not good to keep her alone outside. She is safe - in a brand new shed that is secure and locked at night and right next to the house. She has everything she needs and I am monitoring the temp closely. But he said since chickens are social animals she needs to be in here with us until she can get outside with the big girls. And since the other chick didn't make it, she doesn't have any chick friends. Is he right or is she OK out there? I work from home so I am able to go out there as often as I want - usually every hour. If she will really benefit from being inside I will bring her in.

She is a little miracle! Now my husband said this morning that she should come inside with us because it's not good to keep her alone outside. She is safe - in a brand new shed that is secure and locked at night and right next to the house. She has everything she needs and I am monitoring the temp closely. But he said since chickens are social animals she needs to be in here with us until she can get outside with the big girls. And since the other chick didn't make it, she doesn't have any chick friends. Is he right or is she OK out there? I work from home so I am able to go out there as often as I want - usually every hour. If she will really benefit from being inside I will bring her in.
I totally agree with your DH ... being all by herself she will be terribly lonely. Can you rig up a brooder box and keep her in the house? That way she'll hear the daily noises and you can visit and talk with her. I hadn't thought of it but maybe you could locate another newborn that you could put with her? If you do, avoid getting one that's bigger than her...she's been through enough trauma already....

I totally agree with your DH ... being all by herself she will be terribly lonely. Can you rig up a brooder box and keep her in the house? That way she'll hear the daily noises and you can visit and talk with her. I hadn't thought of it but maybe you could locate another newborn that you could put with her? If you do, avoid getting one that's bigger than her...she's been through enough trauma already....
Well I took your advice...I found someone sort of close(within an hour) that had black star baby chicks. I was only going to get one so this poor little chick could have a friend but...when i got there she had 2 females and I couldn't separate them! So now the little peep has 2 friends. There were born about a week ago and are a little bigger but not much. They seem to be getting along just fine.

Well I took your advice...I found someone sort of close(within an hour) that had black star baby chicks. I was only going to get one so this poor little chick could have a friend but...when i got there she had 2 females and I couldn't separate them! So now the little peep has 2 friends. There were born about a week ago and are a little bigger but not much. They seem to be getting along just fine.
Oh, bless their little fuzzy-butts!!! I'm so thrilled that you were able to locate some little ones for your chick. You should see a marked improvement in her in the next day or so...I'm sure she is happy as a little chick could possibly be!! Post pics later on as they get older....!!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom