HELP! Mama left eggs for 4 hours. Chicks are to tomorrow!

clairabean

Songster
9 Years
Nov 7, 2010
Kootenays of BC!
Chicks are due to hatch tomorrow or next day. They have been under the broody hen exclusively. She has been great, but today she was accidently locked out for 4 hours. I went to the coop and the eggs were very cold. I brought them in and set them on a hot water bottle.

Is this the end of them? What do I do? Give them back to Mama?
he.gif

I would put momma in a very small place with her nest so she has no option but to sit on them. I had to do this with my Bertha when a rotten egg exploded over her bum and I had to rescue her and the entire nest of eggs. She didnt; want to go back on the nest so I stuck a new nest box in our small coop which onlt has room for a nest box inside it ( Its one of those triangle coops.) I pushed her in ontop of the eggs and closed the door. She had no where else to go. Those chicks were 18 weeks old before she left them again!!!

Oesdog - Of course she could know more than us and maybe the eggs are not live anyhow???
Worth a try though.
wink.png
Remember in the wild bird often leave their nests for a longtime - it may only delay the hatch!!! Do put them back with Mom though ASAP.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom