Help , mandarin ducks eggs have hatched

Daft duck

Chirping
Jun 19, 2019
i was given a male and female manderin ducks two years ago , there very nervous , this year they produced 7 eggs I very foolishly let them sit on them , yesterday they produced 2 chicks , now I’ve no idea how I should be taking care of this family or if other eggs will hatch .
They have laid the eggs over a period of 3 weeks and have sat on them for around 4 .
Will any more chicks hatch .?
I have prepared a larger hutch for them closer to the pond in anticipation of moving the family as I didn’t want to disturb them before .
I have absolutely no experience with ducks prior to being given the mandarins , however the same friend also dropped 3 call duck on me .
The calls are separate from the manderins as they bullied them .
All help and advice appreciated.
I did post in the general duck forum but it was suggested i post here .

More ducklings mighthatch you could candle the eggs to see if theyre close to developed. Just need a super bright flashlight. Aside from thatbwhat do u offer for feed?

More ducklings mighthatch you could candle the eggs to see if theyre close to developed. Just need a super bright flashlight. Aside from thatbwhat do u offer for feed?
I’m offering chick crumb for feed , mom not sitting on other 2 eggs , and chicks are real live wires , have completely netted wall garden now , and filled in any gapes that they may squeeze through they’ve not been near pond yet . Mom and dad are trampling on chicks is this normal

Trampling them? No not normal like how? When you go out by them they run and run right over the babes? I could see that occuring ducks are very high strung as a whole and that ornamental breed even more so. Or like ur watching them from inside and theyre like ingoring the little ones walking right overtop of them?

Chick crumble is a good start but what percentage of crude protien does it have?

Im glad youve made improvements to be sure theyre not escaping :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom