Help me! Can't figure out if I have a rooster or not...

BChippieMama

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
We have blood spots in our eggs often and sometimes they look fertile but I can't quite tell yet, and we have 8mlaying hens that are supposed to be only hatched last spring but we only get seven eggs a day. I'm going to try to figure out if I can attach photos from my iPad.... Fingers crossed lol

You have all hens.

Blood spots have nothing to do with fertility. They're simply a glitch in a hens system and are quite common in New layers, especially high production breeds. Commercial egg sellers candle their eggs to remove them from carton sales, so the general public has no idea how common it can be.

Wondering what sex these 3 are. I have posted before and ppl said roosters ppl have said 2 roosters. And 1 hen. HELP boyfriend said we can only have hens no roosters from his past experience with roosters. Won't let me upload pics on here I'll make another post below

Ok great to know! Thanks for the answers everyone :) why am I only be getting 7 eggs per day when we have 8 laying hens that are the same age?

They don't lay like clockwork. They all have individual laying cycles. Some will take longer than other to make an egg. The average time it takes a hen to make an egg is anywhere from 20 to 28 hours. They will lay for several days straight, each egg being laid a little later in the day, and then have a 'reset' day.

Back
Top Bottom