Help me catch a BOBCAT !!!

I can't shoot a gun in the middle of the night where I live. Darn neighbors, well long story short I shoot coons cats and all of the above with a bow and a huge spotlight. You don't have to buy ammo, there is no noise, no need for dozens of traps, and it is quite fun to camp out.

hopefully you disposed of the feral cat. they can and do as much damage as a bobcat. In your area there really isn't that much difference in size. Feral cat are nasty SOB's and do real damage to domestic as well as wild bird populations. Keep setting the trap. You don't have to worry much about the bobcats nose, but they are attracted to visual stimulation such as a live bird or even a feather fluttering in the wind. Keep trapping until you quit losing birds. Good luck

skunky castor / beaver meat or smoked fish the larger the cage trap the faster it happens snares work well too 8X8 I believ in FLA you are limited to cages and snares

I haven't caught anything else since the feral cat (who is in A Better Place now, don't worry). I also haven't seen any more fresh cat tracks, but I'm not an expert so I can't be sure. I know that I was seeing definite cat tracks on some mornings, and now haven't seen any more as certain as those. I also haven't lost any more birds, but we are also being very diligent to be out in the chicken yard by 5pm and have everyone in their homes by dark at 6pm. And we caught the few remaining bantams and have them confined to pens with covers over them, so they can't go to roost up in the tree at nightfall. I'm fairly certain that the predator(s) were catching the bantams when they were gathering to fly up into the tree before dark. I think they were preying on the ducks right after dark.

I now have 3 live-bait traps set up. I put a capon in each one every evening. I read this http://icwdm.org/handbook/carnivor/bobcat.asp and have used the information to help hide the traps. I put dirt on the bottoms, piled brush around the cage & the trap, even put some feathers & feet from capons I just butchered around the opening.

I think I'll keep this up for about a week, then give the capons a break. I will certainly keep at least one trap set each night with canned cat food, and maybe set the live-bait trap once a week or so. And I will continue to try to be home and in the chicken yard at least an hour before nightfall every night that is possible.

Quote:
great. i have three and hope to have four going 24/7. of course, no predators come by so i never get any business. thanks for that camouflage link. must look at that!
much luck to you

Back
Top Bottom