1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help me catch a chick!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencity, Apr 30, 2008.

1. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    My chicks are a month and one week old. they have been in the coop for 4 days now with a heat lamp at night. when i open the door a couple usually run out and i can easily pick them up and put them back in but i have two bard rocks that are just sneaky chicks. i cant catch them for anything! they run away as soon as i get near them and will go and hide so i can't find them. i have tried using food and that doesn't work and i had to make a shute type thing and use a snow shovel to hred them back in and half the time they just take off flying! someone help! why cant i catch my BRs.

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea, but I would love to see the video!

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Once you catch them you may want to consider trimming wings, to help limit the flying issue.

Sounds like you need to try using a pole net. Try using really good treats and not just plain food. Small mealworms work great.

-Kim

4. chickencity

chickencity Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    i wish i would have gotten it on video! i bet it was funny. i even had the dogs cheering for me. although i think coco wanted to eat them! My mom said i needed to get a big net. i thought i had one of them when it stoped to eat a worm but it seen me coming a took off agian. i'll diffently be clipping their wings.i also have one that is starting to bite me when i put my habd in the coop to refill the feeder or get out a chick. but thats another thread. i think i need a chick trainer lol.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Remember that scene in Rocky where he was chasing chickens as part of his training? That was me the other day, and I could hear the music...

Ah, I'm not as fast as I used to be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by