help me choose a breed!!

My favorite chickens are the Midnight Majestic Marans. Their black feathers have iridescent green and blue coloring, truly making them majestic. They are sweet girls and great layers. My Buffs and Sussex girls are also very sweet, but the Marans, are by far the best layers and the most easy going breed I have ever had.

P.S. I live in Arizona, which is now hitting the 115 temps and they are doing fine. So if you are in a place where the summers are grueling, Marans are a very good pick. Just water and shade keeps them happy.
I agree love Marans, you have some pretty girls. I live in Nevada near Death Valley and these birds are really good foragers and can handle heat. I put a baby pool out for them to wade in they like it lol

Orpington, Sussex, Ameraucana or Easter Eggers for blue or green eggs, black Copper Marans. also polish and silkie are fun for some pizzazz in the flock.

I just started a flock of American Bresse. They are supposedly the perfect homestead chicken. They lay more than other heritage breeds and are said to be the best tasting chicken of all. Mine are only 2 months old, so I can't verify any of this information yet. They also are supposed to start laying at 4 months. I am hopeful ☺...and, they are pretty docile!

Hey guys,
I am getting two more chickens and I need help choosing.
I'm thinking either a salmon favorelle, bielefelder, or like a rhode island red or something. please help me chose!!!
Hey Emily, We have recently hatched 6 Bielefelders, 2 males and 4 hens. We have done extensive research on several breeds and can confirm, you are making a very good choice in breeds. Bielefelders are probably the best for size, eggs, temperament, they are very quiet/docile also. Good luck.

Most heritage breeds aren't great layers but I get enough eggs from my Salmon's I'm happy with them.
Most modern hybrids lay heavily for about two or three years. The heritage breeds seen to lay fewer but will lay for as much as 8 or 10 years. Lots of chicken keepers have mentioned they dont prefer having to start over every three years with day olds which means they wont have eggs for their customers for at least six months. Having a mix of heritage and modern hybrids seems to be a practical idea.

I adore Pekins (cochins). I've gone from keeping standard and large breeds to just Pekins now, as they are so funny, cheeky and full of personality. Mine are just pets, and the eggs are a bonus, so it depends what you want.

Back
Top Bottom