Help me choose my french black copper marans cockerels for breeding

Eggcellent

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Michigan's Thumb
Hello fellow BYCers,

I am getting ready to put my BCMs in a breeding pen and I need to thin the cockerels down to 2. I am no expert on the breed standard so I could use a little help choosing the best 2. If you could tell me which 2 look the best to you (and why) that would be greatly helpful! Also, one of the cockerels has 1 white feather on a wing tip (couldn't get a photo because it only is visible when he stretches his wing). Is that something I should be overly concerned about? Here are the photos:

Cockerel #1 - I am not too impressed by his comb and the really light feathering on the shanks/feet. I think he is likely a "cull".
1.jpg

Cockerel #2
2.jpg

Cockerel #3
3.jpg

Cockerel #4
4.jpg

Cockerel #5 - His comb is a little darker than this due to the flash, but it is not as red as the other roos. He does have a lot of feathers on his feet and shanks. He is also the smallest of the bunch.
5.jpg

Cockerel 2,4,5 appear to have green legs which means they have the recessive yellow skin as the result of cross breeding. They should be culled.
Cockerel 1 has too much red on the breast, golden neck hackles & should be culled.
Cockerel 3 is the best of a bad lot, he also has golden neck hackles, & his tail angle is too high.
If he is related to the others you would need to test mate him to determine if he is carrying the recessive yellow shank/skin gene. This will take time ,space & money, so all in all you might be better buying a pure bred male. Even then you should test mate all of your hens to see which carry the unwanted recessive yellow shank/skin gene, presuming you bred these yourself.
David

Hmmm,

All these are from a single source. I got some hatching eggs and all of my females are from the same source as well. I guess maybe I need to just cull the entire flock and get some eggs from a good source. A lot of time and money wasted though
sad.png

Thanks for all the input. I will probably just keep the girls around for nice colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom