Help me choose some breeds!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HawaiiHorseGirl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    Hi, I am adding to my flock (I currently have SL and GL Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, an EE and a barred rock) and I have some specifics I am looking for. What Layer breeds would you suggest under the following criteria:
    1. Broodiness (I am using them to hatch my turkey eggs)
    2. Friendlyness (I spend lots of time with my girls)
    3. Unique egg color

I have been thinking Marans, another EE or two, another Barred rock or two, Welsummer, Light Brahama, but I get LOTS of conflicting info online as to their broodiness.

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge!

2. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    I'm trying Buff Chanteclers from Ideal Hatchery who will ship to Hawaii.

I really like them. The chicks are calm and confident and friendly. I love their gold color. People who have them say they are broody. Check the Chantecler thread here on BYC.. Also lay a large egg, light brown.

When I was living near Kona on the Big Island a couple years ago, I used a Columbian Wyandotte (Ideal) for a broody. She went broody after laying only a month or so. Was a good Mom too. And went broody again a month or so after her chicks were all feathered out. Apparently the breed is known for broodiness, mentioned in McMurray poultry catalog.

3. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    Great I will look into them! 2 of my Wyandottes have been awesome both brooding twice this year and one of my Buff Orps has also. I brought some chicks in from Ideal earlier this year and am really happy with them! They took care of all the Health permit stuff for me also.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I noticed the conflicting breed information. IMO different lines have been selected differently, hence the variety of opinions. I'm not sure how you can inquire at the hatchery ; it maybe difficult to get beyond the order department.You could always try! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by