Help me choose some breeds!

HawaiiHorseGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hawaii
Hi, I am adding to my flock (I currently have SL and GL Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, an EE and a barred rock) and I have some specifics I am looking for. What Layer breeds would you suggest under the following criteria:
1. Broodiness (I am using them to hatch my turkey eggs)
2. Friendlyness (I spend lots of time with my girls)
3. Unique egg color

I have been thinking Marans, another EE or two, another Barred rock or two, Welsummer, Light Brahama, but I get LOTS of conflicting info online as to their broodiness.

Thanks in advance for your help and knowledge!

wingsofglory

Songster
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Palmer Alaska
I'm trying Buff Chanteclers from Ideal Hatchery who will ship to Hawaii.

I really like them. The chicks are calm and confident and friendly. I love their gold color. People who have them say they are broody. Check the Chantecler thread here on BYC.. Also lay a large egg, light brown.

When I was living near Kona on the Big Island a couple years ago, I used a Columbian Wyandotte (Ideal) for a broody. She went broody after laying only a month or so. Was a good Mom too. And went broody again a month or so after her chicks were all feathered out. Apparently the breed is known for broodiness, mentioned in McMurray poultry catalog.

HawaiiHorseGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hawaii
Great I will look into them! 2 of my Wyandottes have been awesome both brooding twice this year and one of my Buff Orps has also. I brought some chicks in from Ideal earlier this year and am really happy with them! They took care of all the Health permit stuff for me also.

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
I noticed the conflicting breed information. IMO different lines have been selected differently, hence the variety of opinions. I'm not sure how you can inquire at the hatchery ; it maybe difficult to get beyond the order department.You could always try!
wink.png

Top Bottom