Help me chose

I have 2 ducks want more!

• Should I get Cayuga Ducks

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Or Hatch out my own

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Yep! It's the male pekin and female hen. I'm not rehoming him cause i raised him from a baby and he has lost his brother and sister and the female is attached to him. Thanks for the advice and somebody said to separate my hen and drake is that really needed? Somebody same the pekin would kill the mallard while mating?!

Yep! It's the male pekin and female hen. I'm not rehoming him cause i raised him from a baby and he has lost his brother and sister and the female is attached to him. Thanks for the advice and somebody said to separate my hen and drake is that really needed? Somebody same the pekin would kill the mallard while mating?!
If he's a gentleman, he might only need to be separated by a seethrough barrier in spring. I would get only females then, or like 6 or 7 females if you want a male too.

As @JacinLarkwell said, (and I mentioned on your other post) it depends on your drake. If he’s good to the ladies and doesn’t force himself on them, he may be fine, and only need to be separated if his hormones are really raging to give the girls a break and prevent injuries. The biggest issue with the size difference is that he’s much larger and heavier which means he has a greater chance of injuring them, or drowning them accidentally if he hops on in the water, not necessarily that he’s going to TRY to hurt them, he’s just a big dude. Definitely less of an issue if he’s the only drake though, as a lot of the problems with drownings come into play when a couple or a bunch of drakes try to pile on top of the same hen. You’ll just have to play it by ear and see how he is with them and adjust as needed. Alternatively, any chance of getting him ladies a little closer in size to him? That may help take some of the pressure off the mallard. although, if she’s his favorite, it won’t matter how many other girls you have. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Have to see how he is come spring. :)

Okay! They were raised together and he is very calm and not aggressive. I only have her right now but thats why i have this poll. Don't worry he isn't mating her now they are only 15 weeks. Around February and March is when I worry

As @JacinLarkwell said, (and I mentioned on your other post) it depends on your drake. If he’s good to the ladies and doesn’t force himself on them, he may be fine, and only need to be separated if his hormones are really raging to give the girls a break and prevent injuries. The biggest issue with the size difference is that he’s much larger and heavier which means he has a greater chance of injuring them, or drowning them accidentally if he hops on in the water, not necessarily that he’s going to TRY to hurt them, he’s just a big dude. Definitely less of an issue if he’s the only drake though, as a lot of the problems with drownings come into play when a couple or a bunch of drakes try to pile on top of the same hen. You’ll just have to play it by ear and see how he is with them and adjust as needed. Alternatively, any chance of getting him ladies a little closer in size to him? That may help take some of the pressure off the mallard. although, if she’s his favorite, it won’t matter how many other girls you have. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Have to see how he is come spring. :)
Cayuga are a few pounds lighter, but definately larger than malards. I think around 7 pounds for girls?

Cayuga are a few pounds lighter, but definately larger than malards. I think around 7 pounds for girls?
For sure, mediumweight breeds are better than lightweight or bantams in a case like this. I guess it also makes a difference if he’s a bit of a larger pekin or on the smaller side. :) But the cayugas available around here are pathetically tiny, very poor hatchery stock, so it also might depend on what stock is available...

He's on the smaller side. Don't know about the stock of Cayugas though. Them standing side by side she is half he's size so thats good

He's on the smaller side. Don't know about the stock of Cayugas though. Them standing side by side she is half he's size so thats good
I think you actually have a hybrid white layer look up pictures of drakes they look just like pekins but they are much smaller.

Back
Top Bottom