Help me decide?

HappyEggs

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 14, 2013
Araucana or Easter Egger? Pullets or Roos? They are 4 1/2 weeks old.. so I know its hard to tell the sex now. However, knowing exactly what they are would be grateful! They are 4 1/2 weeks old in these pics. All had decent size tails after a few days old. My boys like to know what they are to name them so I have given them numbers.

#1 This one is all white. Some pics look like there is brown but that is poop stains.

#2 This one had the fuzzious face and head as a baby. And has always been the shyest... hiding behind the others from day one and still does.

#3 with the chipmunk eyes. Was the bravest in the beginning. In the small brooder box she would stand on top of the feeder to look out of the box. At four weeks I've noticed the tail staying down where the others chicks tails are still up.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
#2 and #3 are definitely Easter Eggers, and I'm pretty sure that #1 is an EE as well. #1 and #2 have rather red combs for 4 1/2 weeks of age, and I see red patches on #2's wings, so I think they're both cockerels. I'm not sure about #3's gender; her comb is red, but not as red as the other two, and her coloring is more hen-like.

#2 and #3 are definitely Easter Eggers, and I'm pretty sure that #1 is an EE as well. #1 and #2 have rather red combs for 4 1/2 weeks of age, and I see red patches on #2's wings, so I think they're both cockerels. I'm not sure about #3's gender; her comb is red, but not as red as the other two, and her coloring is more hen-like.
X2 They can't be Araucanas because they have tails, Ameraucana and Araucana have strict written standards, dealing with color and their physical description that the birds have to match to be considered as their respective breeds. http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html and http://araucana.net/ are the websites for the parent clubs, they have write ups on their facts pages about the differences between them all.

Yes.. I'm concerned that the first two may be males. I just witnessed the two being breasty at each other??!!

Back
Top Bottom