help me experiment with sexing

isnt their another gentler way less confusing? i dont' understand the feather ones and my chicks run from me anyways so its kinda hard to hang em up side down!

so I now have the suspected roos in there own brooder which is identical to the other one. the suspected roos are chest bumping and jumping on each other. the supected hens are calm and allready using the roost and dusting. the are 1 week old today.

when they are 3 days old and younger. hold them upside down really quickly.

if its a boy it will try to sit up and make alot of racket

if its a girl it will just lay there with its head pointing to the ground.

my chicks i bought from tsc was 7 out of 10 accerate!!!!

and two out of three that were wrong ended up being girls!
smile.png
smile.png

so according to the upside down leg kick and the wing feather test (thank you for the pictures) one of my partridge rock pullets is a roo. We'll see. I was going to name it Brownie, not great for a girl, but for a roo..."you've done a heck of a job Brownie"
lol.png

I am wondering..... I have a pretty good feeling that my silkie is a roo and pretty sure my mille is a pullet. When I pet my mille's back she somewhat "presents" herself... drops down and freezes for a moment. Not as much as a full blown hen would do... but enough that I'm pretty sure that is what her little brain is telling her to do, even though she is only a few weeks old. Now, my silkie, when I try to touch his back he freaks out and runs away from me. He's just not having it... and he just doesn't respond the same. I would be interested, if anyone has any young cockerals and pullets they could test this on, if it shows this early.

you can take them and squeeze them and when poo squirts out you can look in the vent to look for a bump. Bump being male and smooth being female. I tried it and my chicken just screamed and screamed. it takes practice.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom