Help me figure out this confusing gender-neutral duck

All right, I'm gonna roll the dice. I'm going with female, but only have a little experience to base this on. A few months ago I thought I had 3 drakes and 1 hen due to their bill shape, leg and overall size at 3 weeks. Then at 7weeks had the chance for them a good home and didn't want to pass it up. After studying their pics closely, I could tell 3 had earlier feather development. I went thru legs, bills, face, color, feet, manner of walking, personal traits, yet feather development was closest to conclusive. I was raising another clutch of tiny ducklings because by golly, I needed a small flock of females -n wasn't waiting until cold weather arrived. I was burning out on raising ducklings, (3 batches = 15), and this recreational farm guy said, "sure, I'll take 'em all." That was 5 straight run ducklings and what I believed then the 1 drake; went from 9 ducklings to 3 likely females. Now at 15 weeks, the feather growth indicator seems to have been spot on, though I was paranoid that next week!

Plus, I think that's a sweet flirty face on Pickles :p

Last edited:
I'm going to go with male. Based on what you've written i thought male and then you said they still have their baby voices. In my experience males take far longer than females. All females I've raised have gotten their voices between 3 and 8 weeks and the males have been closer to 12.

Just my experience and i don't have Muscovy so i could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom