Help me figure this out!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Just plucky, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Just plucky

Just plucky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Oregon
    I'm a proud chickie momma! In the last two days at days 29 & 30 under a broody, we had 3 chicks hatch, they developed slower due to the snow & below freezing temps we had here in the PNW for most of their incubation but that's another thread!

My conundrum is this, the broody had stolen the eggs from a nearby nest & I had trouble telling the difference between our Buff Orp, Speckled Sussex & Black Sex Link eggs, one could have been a BJG too but I think they were most likely the former. The Roo was either a Black Jersey Giant or a Lavender Ameraucana.

Here they are! I'm perplexed at how the middle one has a black comb too! What do you think? Whos the momma & daddy?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You can see the chicks much better in person, so take what I say with a grain of salt and double check against the chicks.

For the fathers...I think they are all the JG. The Ameraucana would have given them dark legs, pea combs and beard/muffs. The only chick that looks like it could maybe have a pea comb and muffs is the one to the right, again check in person.

For the mommas--I think they're all the black sex link, or maybe the JG. Orps and Sussex both have white skin/legs, which is dominant, and none of these chicks have white legs. Since the bsl is herself a mix, her offspring can each look fairly different, even from the same sire.

Sometimes black birds show up with black combs, esp on the pullets it seems. We see pics of black sex link pullets having a black comb right up until maturity.

Maybe post pics again when they're feathered out, around 6ish weeks?

3. Just plucky

Just plucky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Oregon
    Donrae, I was thinking the same about the BJG as the Roo, but upon further inspection the one on the right does have muffs & a pea comb & it came out of a light colored egg. [​IMG]

I know for a fact that at least one(the middle chick) came from a BSL egg as that one was malpositioned & I had to assist. Great to hear about that one most likely being a pullet, fingers crossed!!! [​IMG]

I'll have to look at the eggs again to try & figure out the third one on the left, it's interesting that it has a red face & almost a floppy looking comb.ETA that this chick also has a brownish colored beak.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by