Help me find dog breeds

I am not sure how to find dog breeds and Black_cats thread seems to have done well so here we go
very important
I have a indoor cat who has mild Cerebellar hypoplasia, which means she can be unsteady some times and can’t get away from dogs as easily as other cats, most of the time she is on the floor. I have 2 other cats as well 1 indoors 1 outdoor.

What I want from a dog
At some point hopefully in the nearish future we will be moving out in to the country side with space for sheep and cattle like things. we want one dog as a guard dog (NOT livestock guard) and one as a herding dog. I like intelligent (That does NOT mean easily trainable) independent (maybe? Not sure if it describes what I want correctly) dogs
Guard dog

• My mother wants something she says about Alsatian, size smaller might work if they are very good guard dogs.
  • must be able to live out doors in cold wet weather
  • currently on the list of breeds is Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Herding dog
I do Not want border collies, I am looking for a breed of herding dog which does not need me tell it what to do constantly.
  • Don’t what it too big, 21kg is about the maximum weight
  • Must be able to work both sheep and cattle
  • Breed so far on the list Australian kelpie

If you have any experience with the breeds already listed I would like to hear about it
thank you
You have just perfectly described a Scotch Collie. https://www.scotchcollie.org/ Check them out, and there are a fan group and a discussion group on Facebook, too. But, that's pretty much it on the nose. Ours is a big one at 65 lbs/30kg, 21 kg/45 lbs is pretty normal. Good watchdogs, good family dogs, super smart. Will herd whatever you need herded, these are the general-purpose do-it-all farm-dogs that were around from hundreds of years ago to the early 1900s, and you still saw them around until the 1960s or so. There aren't a lot around, but the breed is making a comeback and ours just fits your description to a T except that he's a bit bigger! They are very good with other animals that are "pet" animals and one is quite likely to decide it is your cat's caretaker if it doesn't simply buddy up to it with the other animals.
Anyone else's cats will be driven off, but actual pets are protected :)

You have just perfectly described a Scotch Collie. https://www.scotchcollie.org/ Check them out, and there are a fan group and a discussion group on Facebook, too. But, that's pretty much it on the nose. Ours is a big one at 65 lbs/30kg, 21 kg/45 lbs is pretty normal. Good watchdogs, good family dogs, super smart. Will herd whatever you need herded, these are the general-purpose do-it-all farm-dogs that were around from hundreds of years ago to the early 1900s, and you still saw them around until the 1960s or so. There aren't a lot around, but the breed is making a comeback and ours just fits your description to a T except that he's a bit bigger! They are very good with other animals that are "pet" animals and one is quite likely to decide it is your cat's caretaker if it doesn't simply buddy up to it with the other animals.
Thank you! They sound great! I will have a look at them.

I love Scotch Collies!!! :love I’ve always wanted one. And an English Shepherd hahah

I love Scotch Collies!!! :love I’ve always wanted one. And an English Shepherd hahah
They are awesome :D Nowadays there's almost always a litter on the ground somewhere in the US, too! We drove 9 hours away after a three-month wait to pick up our little guy, and SO worth it. I prefer the softer temperament to a typical ES temperament, but both would be great dogs. And...there's a line of Scotch that's been picked for poultry ability specifically, although it seems they all do a good job of it.

They are awesome :D Nowadays there's almost always a litter on the ground somewhere in the US, too! We drove 9 hours away after a three-month wait to pick up our little guy, and SO worth it. I prefer the softer temperament to a typical ES temperament, but both would be great dogs. And...there's a line of Scotch that's been picked for poultry ability specifically, although it seems they all do a good job of it.
They sound amazing!! :love I’ve heard with ES the temperaments can vary a lot and that some of them are softer or whatever? Idk if that’s true or not though. Heard some have higher or lower energy too or are better with kids or whatever. Not sure if it’s the same for Scotch.

I am not sure how to find dog breeds and Black_cats thread seems to have done well so here we go
very important
I have a indoor cat who has mild Cerebellar hypoplasia, which means she can be unsteady some times and can’t get away from dogs as easily as other cats, most of the time she is on the floor. I have 2 other cats as well 1 indoors 1 outdoor.

What I want from a dog
At some point hopefully in the nearish future we will be moving out in to the country side with space for sheep and cattle like things. we want one dog as a guard dog (NOT livestock guard) and one as a herding dog. I like intelligent (That does NOT mean easily trainable) independent (maybe? Not sure if it describes what I want correctly) dogs
Guard dog

• My mother wants something she says about Alsatian, size smaller might work if they are very good guard dogs.
  • must be able to live out doors in cold wet weather
  • currently on the list of breeds is Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Herding dog
I do Not want border collies, I am looking for a breed of herding dog which does not need me tell it what to do constantly.
  • Don’t what it too big, 21kg is about the maximum weight
  • Must be able to work both sheep and cattle
  • Breed so far on the list Australian kelpie

If you have any experience with the breeds already listed I would like to hear about it
thank you
A mutt.. your best bet, best behaved and best loyalty.. and less health issues. Breeds are all inbred.. to a fault, many faults..

Think about a Chow Chow.

They are all purpose dogs, protective of their family and home, don't bark a lot but do so when necessary, are clean, love to live outside in all weathers, not overly friendly to strangers unless you tell them it's OK, and can be taught to herd. They have great stamina and can hike for miles but don't need a lot of exercise or constant mental stimulation. Happy to just chill out and sleep all day until they need to be on alert. In my case when parcels get delivered!

But like any breed, it's the training that is KEY to how your dog turns out. Genes play a tiny part. You have to put a LOT of work in to get the dog you want.

Back
Top Bottom