Help me ID this duckling, please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by njgaripoli, May 17, 2010.

1. njgaripoli

njgaripoli New Egg

May 17, 2010
    My hubby got me these two ducklings and I am pretty sure from my research the little one is a Rouen but he bigger one I am not to sure. I was in the market at first to purchase a Khaki Campbell so the ducklings of that variety that I have seen were all much darker. This one is different. It has a large yellowish chest and a small crest. It is very outgoing and much taller than the other. Any ideas, I have done so much photo and breed browsing and I just can't be sure. The place they came from had a mix of ducklings so they couldn't be sure either. THANKS EVERYONE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    the one with the more black is a mallard

3. chasing ducks

chasing ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The little one is likely a mallard, looks small for a rouen. The other, I haven't seen a duckling like that before, maybe a cross breed of rouen or mallard? Looking at the pic again maybe it is crossed witha crested runner, being that it is taller and has a tuft.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    The little one has two eye stripes so I say rouen...the silverish one is a blue swedish with a tiny crest!

5. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    the little guy could be a grey mallard but his feet are making me wonder, the bigger guy is a crested swedish, maybe a blue?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by