help me identify breed please?

Not sure what it IS, but guessing not a turkey, because it doesn't have a snood (turkey comb) - unless it has been removed.

If it is a chicken, I'd guess pullet (girl). Not sure on breed. It could be a Shamo, but I'm not too familiar with that breed and it is quite rare I think.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
Jrig1! Thanks for taking it in!

Last edited:
I guess il after wait till it gets a little older till I see what it is haha! A friend found it on a field near his house and it looked in a bad way. Had it for about 2 weeks now and can see its coming along good. Keeping it seperated from my other chickens though till it gets bigger and till I realise what it is

I'd maybe check with your local fish and game. I'm not convinced it's a chicken, personally. Depending on where you live it'd be MUCH more likely to have a vulture chick booted from a nest than an exotic chicken breed.

I'd maybe check with your local fish and game. I'm not convinced it's a chicken, personally. Depending on where you live it'd be MUCH more likely to have a vulture chick booted from a nest than an exotic chicken breed.
Definitely not a vulture. Vulture chicks are huge, and retain their down for quite a while, and do not resemble chickens at all. We had a pair of black vultures nest in a tree stump on our property this year. Those things make the op's chick look adorable
lol.png

Here's a black vulture chick, not my pic.
http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/blackvulture-nestupdate11-001.jpg
Turkey vulture chicks look basically the same, only their down is white.

I would bet it's some sort of oriental gamefowl or a cross thereof. They are incredibly slow feathering and can look very turkey or vultureish. Here's a picture of some Asil chicks off of google, that look quite similar to the chick in question.
http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/84/43/53864384/photos/chilakalapudi/DSCN0471.JPG

Wow they are definitely the closest pics I've seen to it yet. Thanks RockerHen. does anyone know what oriental gamefowl are like to keep? because I might after keep it separated from my other chickens if there aggressive etc

Back
Top Bottom